> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-12, 08:56 AM   #1
Decrepit

Default Adidas Ditches 'Slave Symbol Shoe' Plans

Adidas has defended the shoe design but decided to cancel plans
to make it anyway

The sportswear company tried to generate a buzz around the $350 (223) trainers by posting a photo on its Facebook page.
"Got a sneaker game so hot you lock your kicks to your ankles?" a caption read.
Named the JS Roundhouse Mid and made in collaboration with the fashion designer Jeremy Scott, the high-top shoe has an orange plastic cuff that goes around each ankle.
The photo has generated nearly 3,500 comments on the social networking site with many complaining that the design is offensive to descendants of slaves.
A user named Kay Tee wrote: "How would a Jewish person feel if Nike decided to have a shoe with a swastika on it and tried to claim it was OK in the name of fashion?"

However, others said there was nothing wrong with the shoes and that the issue had been blown out of proportion.
In a statement, Adidas said the shoe "is nothing more than the designer Jeremy Scott's outrageous and unique take on fashion and has nothing to do with slavery".
"Since the shoe debuted on our Facebook page ahead of its market release in August, Adidas has received both favourable and critical feedback. We apologise if people are offended by the design and we are withdrawing our plans to make them available in the marketplace."
Scott is known as one of fashion's more outrageous characters. Adidas said he is heralded for a style that is "quirky and lighthearted".
The Roundhouse Mid was inspired by a furry toy called My Pet Monster. "My work has always been inspired by cartoons, toys and my childhood," Scott said in a statement.
Previous collaborations between Scott and Adidas include trainers with Mickey Mouse and panda themes.

http://oddnews.org/77-odd-news/1365-adidas-ditches-slave-symbol-shoe-plans.html
Old 06-20-12, 09:16 AM   #2
Illuminati Member

Its a shoe people. Before you know it we will all be wearing the same clothes because of political correctness. People are just nuts. If you like it buy it. If you don't then off you go.
dormin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 09:56 AM   #3
Novice
How would Jewish people feel knowing they're being used in a broad statement and not being considered descendants of slaves anymore :o
pleb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 02:17 PM   #4
Professional Russian

Quote: Originally Posted by dormin View Post
Its a shoe people. Before you know it we will all be wearing the same clothes because of political correctness. People are just nuts. If you like it buy it. If you don't then off you go.
Exactly.
Visual_Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 02:37 PM   #5
Elite

OK and when exactly did legs cuffs become exclusive to slaves first off?
And secondly do people truly not realize that nearly every civilization at some time or another has been enslaved. Hell some people are still to this day slaves and I'm pretty sure they could give two shits about a pair of sneakers.

What a wonderfully stupid world we live in.
nitewolf08302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 03:15 PM   #6
\_(ツ)_/

Its quite hilarious how long the toes of some people on this rock are. Labeling such a shoe as "an insult to slavery" in general? How ridiculous is that. I'd say that the only ones that would have a right to feel insulted are the kids and young adults who make those damn shoes in those damned sweatshops.
L1b3rta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 03:56 PM   #7
Elite

Eh, I think it's a funny way of telling the idiots that spend $350 on a shoe (I believe they call them urban these days) how much of a slave they became to Nike/Adidas. I have a friend with 50 or 60 of the rarest pairs of Jordans/Nikes and I always mock him about it, even though I know he can make a small fortune by selling it to other idiots.
CyberKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 05:07 PM   #8
Untouchable

$350??
Probably more than the kids making them see in a year.......

Quote:
The Roundhouse Mid was inspired by a furry toy called My Pet Monster
I think Mr Scott plays with too many other men's pet monsters......

I had a very funny, interesting conversation last night with 2 females of other sexual persuasion at the shops last night.
Started when one mentioned she had carpel tunnel and needed surgery, then told me it's from too much manual manipulation because her GF don't give her enough.
I had a very quick, funny comeback comment (which I can't post here).

One told me I could get a vibrating tongue ring and after I both explained and demonstrated the fact I'm not that flexible, and they finished laughing so much they had tears (I'm really not that flexible and nearly hurt my neck and back trying), one explained I could get one and join them.........

Still contemplating.....
One looks like she attends pit bull fights, as a contestant, the other was rather cute.....

Last edited by Gandolph13; 06-20-12 at 05:19 PM.
Gandolph13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 09:11 PM   #9
Elite
I use walmart shoe. About 40 bucks.
Ghenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 11:11 PM   #10
Newcomer
I just don't see why one would want chains on the back of their shoes unless I'm missing something here........... I find it annoying considering the length of the chain (it can touch the ground); I'm no shoe fan who spends $100's of dollars on shoes, though I like converse shoes.
All my life, I can say, I've not reached more than 15 pair of shoes, and I'm 24. I don't find how shoe can be such a beauty that one would buy new shoes (like 4 pairs a month). I knew some people in my high school days who bought new shoes every week, and licking their fingers to wipe off a single dirt stain on the shoe.
magerlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-12, 01:45 AM   #11
Luminiferous Ether Sailor

Well, they're god-awful-ugly and so exponentially overpriced I can't believe Addidas would sell many of them anyway. OTOH, I can't believe anyone, especially the eternally bitching racist mongrel, aka Jesse Jackson, could possibly claim (with a straight face) that these shoes invoke thoughts of black slavery.

Let me quote the great radio personally and self-professed curmudgeon, Mr. Robert D. Raiford, who has asked so many times before when any BS spewing racist cockroach like Jesse Jackson rears his ugly head... "Why doesn't somebody just step on him?!"
PhoenixBSD is offline   Reply With Quote