> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-22-13, 07:27 AM   #1
Decrepit

Default Asteroid mining within two years

Quote:
Mining for metals on an asteroid: Spacecraft could begin drilling on passing rocks within just two years

Asteroids could be mined for useful ores and minerals as they hurtle past the Earth under plans by a U.S. company to launch its first rock-prospecting spacecraft by 2015.
Deep Space Industries announced today that it intends to launch a fleet of unmanned ships to intercept small asteroids as they speed past our own planet, possibly finding metals such as platinum.
The company joins a host of other start-up firms which hope to soon exploit the untapped resources of near-Earth objects to help fuel our civilisation's next phase of technological development.

Space age: This image, taken from Deep Space Industries
website, imagines how the process of mining asteroids could
look. The space start-up intends to begin prospecting
asteroids as soon as 2015

'Using low cost technologies, and combining the legacy of our space program with the innovation of today’s young high tech geniuses, we will do things that would have been impossible just a few years ago,' said chairman Rick Tumlinson.

Asteroid Lutetia pictured by a Nasa satellite between
Mars and Jupiter: DSI hope to launch their first
prospecting spacecraft, which they dub Firefly, in just
two years time for missions lasting two to six months

More Text & Video Here:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2266325/Mining-metals-asteroid-Spacecraft-begin-drilling-passing-rocks-just-TWO-YEARS.html
Old 01-22-13, 07:46 AM   #2
TheSneakyCheese

Luckily, this isn't NASA. These are private companies. Though, I would be surprised if NASA decided to jump on board later if they're successful.
trustingquidnunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 07:48 AM   #3
Your Point Is Invalid

When/if these mining operations are successful and turn profit, you can bet NASA and ESA will jump all over this.
GrimmCro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 07:52 AM   #4
TheSneakyCheese

I've got a brother working as an engineer at one of the private space companies. He seems pretty sure that this whole mining operation stuff is going to be a huge success. In my opinion, even if it's not, the technology they have to develop to do it is still going to net them a profit.
trustingquidnunc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 08:02 AM   #5
Newcomer

In what way will this EVER work financially? It's a total non-starter and load of absolute rubbish!! I've heard more convincing arguments for replying to those e-mails from Nigeria wanting my bank details!!

The lunatics have taken over the asylum (need to dig out my Fun Boy Three album ......who knew they were psychic!!)
anomander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 08:37 AM   #6
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote: Originally Posted by pokerplayer View Post
By NASA math 2 years = 40 years.
If it were up to NASA, we'd be mining Mars and astroids long ago. Go complain at the US politicians who severed budgets after the collapse of the Soviet Union.
L1b3rta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 08:54 AM   #7
Elder

We can barley get to the moon and back ...like this is really going to happen any time soon Thats just funny.

Pinch of salt, it is the daily fail :)

Cheers,

Jiff
JiffOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 09:34 AM   #8
Apprentice

Did it before it was mainstream.
wormri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 09:51 AM   #9
Expert
Wouldn't it cost significantly more money to launch the spacecraft than they could ever make back mining?
sayargh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 11:28 AM   #10
Elder

I give 'em 200 years before this gets started.
shonymat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 11:52 AM   #11
Newcomer

Quote: Originally Posted by shonymat View Post
I give 'em 200 years before this gets started.
Exactly shony ...totally agree

So what's the motivation for this kind of thing? Seems a total ego-trip for some billionaire to get in the news or a scam
anomander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 11:58 AM   #12
Guru

I figure there is FEDERAL FUNDING available for this. The taxpayer will incur the expense of this so called venture! More like a scam to rid the Federal Government of several BILLION dollars. Can anyone say SOLONDRA! Another Federally Funded SCAM! Thanks Barak! What can we expect in the next 4 YEARS.
tomandsusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 12:23 PM   #13
Emperor Of Emperor's

Maybe it's a scam, maybe it's not, I don't know, but I would really be happy if this would become reality, it would be a great achievement :)
NeoTheKiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-13, 12:26 PM   #14
Apprentice

Hey, why argue it? They're private companies, so if they succeed awesome! If not, oh well...
Sandlotje is offline   Reply With Quote