In 2005, Monika Samaan, then seven, her parents and her brother were admitted to hospital with salmonella poisoning after eating a "Twister" chicken wrap at a KFC restaurant near Sydney.
KFC, owned by Yum! Brands, said it was a tragic case but was "deeply disappointed and surprised by the decision" and would appeal against it.
Last week, a New South Wales supreme court judge ruled in favour of the family, saying KFC had breached its duty of care to the girl. On Friday, it awarded the family A$8m in damages, as well as court costs.
Australian media quoted their lawyer, George Vlahakis, as saying Monika's illness had "exhausted the very limited resources of the family".
"The compensation ordered is very much needed," Vlahakis said.
Code: Select All