> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-15-12, 07:43 AM   #1
Decrepit

Default LA sheriff: Man recovers car 42 years after theft

A man whose prized sports car was stolen 42 years ago recovered the vehicle after spotting it on eBay, authorities said Sunday.
Robert Russell told the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department that he had never given up searching for the 1967 Austin Healy after it was stolen from his Philadelphia home in 1970.
Russell recently spotted what he thought was his car on eBay and checked the vehicle identification number on the website with the one on the car's title certificate, finding they were a match, the department said in a news release.
Russell, who now lives in Texas, contacted the department in May, and Detective Carlos Ortega tracked down the car in East Los Angeles.
"Detective Ortega located the stolen Austin Healey at the dealership listed in the eBay ad and confirmed that the car was the same vehicle reported stolen by Mr. Russell," the department said.
After working with Philadelphia police to resolve vehicle identification issues, the department told Russell he could pick up his car.
He has since brought it back to Texas. His hometown wasn't immediately available
Russell told deputies that he bought the vehicle for $3,000. It's now valued at $23,000.
He said "he continued his search for the vehicle, not for its monetary value, but because it had sentimental value to him and his wife," the department said.

http://oddnews.org/77-odd-news/1482-la-sheriff-man-recovers-car-42-years-after-theft.html

Last edited by plasty; 07-15-12 at 07:47 AM.
Old 07-15-12, 08:20 AM   #2
Newcomer
Now that is one stubborn man. Never packed it in, has a very long memory and loads of patience waiting for the right event.

Ir didn't hurt that he also was extremely lucky to be in the right place at the right time.

pinnacle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 08:33 AM   #3
Newcomer
now that's persistence paying off
bloody.angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 10:20 AM   #4
Elite

Whew, obsession payed off.
usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 11:00 AM   #5
A R T I S T

And that's one of those reasons, why God made the Internet...

I'm happy for the owner. Truly am.
lvrrrex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 11:39 AM   #6
Apprentice

Who really made the internet
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch001016.htm
k3nstuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 11:54 AM   #7
Professional Russian

Quote: Originally Posted by lvrrrex View Post
And that's one of those reasons, why God made the Internet...

I'm happy for the owner. Truly am.
Quote: Originally Posted by k3nstuh View Post
lol perfect
Visual_Paradox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 12:12 PM   #8
Elder

Quote: Originally Posted by k3nstuh View Post
Priceless
shonymat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 04:03 PM   #9
Elite

I seem to remember this story from a few years ago...
cazmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 04:25 PM   #10
Untouchable

Quote: Originally Posted by cazmajor View Post
I seem to remember this story from a few years ago...
That was a different car, a Chevy if memory serves...(me and my memory don't happily coexist).
Ah, it's a Healey, well worth the wait....I have a 64 model awaiting full restoration. It's been waiting for a long time too......
Gandolph13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-12, 10:47 PM   #11
Luminiferous Ether Sailor

I'm glad the poor guy got his 'precious' back, especially after all these years. I can't believe how fundamentally flawed the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) system must be since the thief never even bothered to change the original VIN and it apparently never showed up anywhere that the car was stolen. VIN tracking must be within each state only, instead of nationally.

There might be another issue here, though. What if he had full insurance coverage on the vehicle at the time it was stolen and was reimbursed by the insurance company. Does he now have to surrender the car to them?
PhoenixBSD is offline   Reply With Quote