> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-13, 04:28 AM   #1
Elder

Default Olympics drops wrestling

Are these people serious? It's only one of the oldest and original Olympic sports. It's a joke to drop it. I suppose we'll get more snowboarding or some other non-sport.
Old 02-12-13, 05:07 AM   #2
Elder

They have this stupid BMX and they drop wrestling!? wtf.. why is that even in Olympics?? They also had some modern pentathlon this time around!!

Too bad that even Olympics has fallen to the sponsors demands..

Tony they can't have snowboarding in summer Olympics!! :P

rockyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 05:14 AM   #3
Newcomer

Gutted
Was sure The Undertaker had a chance in Rio as well
anomander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 05:56 AM   #4
Novice
They dropped wrestling? Erm.... why don't they drop crap like Water Polo, fencing, handball, synchronized swimming, ribbon dancing..... meh
dantatty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 06:13 AM   #5
creature of habit

Yup, they drop wrestling but keep modern pentathlon. I'm not interested in watching either, but wrestling is at least one of THE original olympic disciplines. They justify it with the low media interest and dropping ratings for wrestling. THAT'S the olympic spirit!

Last edited by schopi; 02-12-13 at 06:26 AM.
schopi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 06:25 AM   #6
G-funk in a whole new era

Quote: Originally Posted by rockyrocks View Post
Tony they can't have snowboarding in summer Olympics!! :P
LOL..
WarrenGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 07:00 AM   #7
Elder

Quote:
Adams said the decision was made by secret ballot over several rounds, with members voting each time on which sport should not be included in the core group. IOC President Jacques Rogge did not vote.

Wrestling was voted out from a final group that also included modern pentathlon, taekwondo and field hockey, officials familiar with the vote told The Associated Press. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the voting details were not made public.

The board voted after reviewing a report by the IOC program commission report that analyzed 39 criteria, including television ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity. With no official rankings or recommendations contained in the report, the final decision by the 15-member board was also subject to political, emotional and sentimental factors.
__________________________________________________ _____________

Wrestling will now join seven other sports in applying for inclusion in 2020. The others are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu. They will be vying for a single opening in 2020.
__________________________________________________ _____________

It is extremely unlikely that wrestling would be voted back in so soon after being removed by the executive board.

"Today's decision is not final," Adams said. "The session is sovereign and the session will make the final decision."

The last sports removed from the Olympics were baseball and softball, voted out by the IOC in 2005 and off the program since the 2008 Beijing Games. Golf and rugby will be joining the program at the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro.
__________________________________________________ ______________

Modern pentathlon also benefited from the work of Juan Antonio Samaranch Jr., the son of the former IOC president who is a UIPM vice president and member of the IOC board.
http://sports.ndtv.com/othersports/othersports/item/203444-international-olympic-committee-drops-wrestling-from-2020-olympics?pfrom=home-otherstories
This seemed fair.. but sometimes, if something is fair doesn't really make it right.. Hopefully this gets back on..

rockyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 02:38 PM   #8
Expert Novice

Quote: Originally Posted by Notorious_dog View Post
OmFg did tony just say SNOWBOARDING is a NON sport?

Omfg
Here's the definition of sport, to which I agree.

If you wanna watch men humping each other, go visit the toilets in a gay bar.

and Rocky against BMX? I feel so? deceived! how could people be against the things I love!?!?
As long as beach volleyball remains and my DVR doesn't break I'll be happy! Trouble is weeding out all that other crap and the commercials!
strgzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 03:36 PM   #9
Decrepit

I guess freestyle graffiti painting will be the replacement 'sport'
plasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-13, 03:59 PM   #10
Expert Novice

Quote: Originally Posted by Notorious_dog View Post

(disclaimer to certain people. ^ that was not a death threat)
No worries here!
My wife was a beach volleyball girl in her youth. 6'1' and blond. She'll be the death of me!! And you are right I'll die a VERY happy man!
strgzr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-13, 09:10 AM   #11
Novice
I myself am not very interested in watching wrestling but interested in the Olympics. However, wrestling should remain to be an Olympic discipline.
Anyways "the sport of wrestling got time till May to save its status".

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/2013/2/13/3984038/olympic-wrestling--ioc-fila-fate-2020-summer-games
glasblok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-13, 12:35 PM   #12
Untouchable

Get rid of it, it's too violent, replace it with a great sport requiring great skill, "GOLF"

Now hit that wee ball into the gophers hole with the bent stick laddie!
Real skill!

Sorry Tom!
Gandolph13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-13, 11:45 AM   #13
In Hoc Signo Vinces

Maybe it is time for some of the traditional sports to make way for more contemporary sporting activities ..... thus promote a healthier lifestyle.

brian32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-13, 12:02 PM   #14
Decrepit

Quote: Originally Posted by Gandolph13 View Post
Get rid of it, it's too violent, replace it with a great sport requiring great skill, "GOLF"

Now hit that wee ball into the gophers hole with the bent stick laddie!
Real skill!

Sorry Tom!
Golf has been added for the 2016 and 2020 olympics.
You can catch up on your sleep by watching it.
plasty is offline   Reply With Quote