Nick Beheng, 31, of Linwood Township was allegedly lighting fireworks Saturday evening when one, in a tube, backfired and struck him, KARE-TV, Minneapolis, reported Wednesday.
"He put two devices in a tube and then held it above his chest. The tube was pointed directly at his chest," said Commander Paul Sommer, a spokesman for the Anoka County Sheriff's Office. "I can't think of a case where someone was impacted by an unexploded device that penetrated that deeply into the chest cavity."
Doctors at Regions Hospital in St. Paul, where Beheng was taken with a massive chest wound and a torn heart, found the device embedded in his chest, Sommer said.
A St. Paul police bomb expert entered the operating room and advised surgeons it was safe to remove the device. Police then removed the unexploded firework from the hospital, a police spokesman said.
Beheng remained in the hospital in critical condition, the television station reported.
Code: Select All