> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-09, 11:23 PM   #1
Newcomer
Default What's the motivation behind....

people giving out links to files that are contaminated? I can't honestly figure out what's the payoff to getting people to download a file that will reek havoc on their computer. Seems like a dick move to me personally.

I figure it's got to be one of three things.

1.) They found the link somewhere else and didn't know it was bad, either due to the fact they have weak anti-viral software or they didn't even try a download of it themselves.

2.) They are out on some mission to stop internet pirates or some such crazy notion.

3.) They're just straight up assholes.

Also has anyone else noticed an interesting trend in some threads with links that are bad? It's interesting that you'll find a bunch of new members with 1 to 3 posts all saying thank you to the OP and how great the download was yet no regular or paying members are in there with the exception of one or two who are saying something is a bit off. Almost like some people set up multiple accounts and try and lure in people by making it seem that others found it safe. IDK, maybe it's just me.
Old 07-28-09, 11:49 PM   #2
Newcomer
Default Re: What's the motivation behind....

I'm honestly gonna go with number 3. Number 2 is ridiculous and number 1 is a weak excuse that those in group 3 would use to cover themselves.

It's like asking "who makes computer virii and why?" They just do. : /
LittleMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 12:19 AM   #3
Apprentice

yes, I think that number 3 is right Love those people who write "Thanks, greate share!!" but do not bother to push 'Thanks' button. I've recently downloaded some movie and 3 of 4 comments were thanks from people with 2 - 3 posts but they didn't bother to push the key. I think that their comment does not help much.

Num. 2 is really ridiculous though some religion sects would be capable of it

Num. 1 is possible too.

Last edited by snypy; 07-29-09 at 12:22 AM.
snypy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 07:21 AM   #4
Newcomer

Quote: Originally Posted by kubiatsu View Post
Well if the file is contaminated with a keylogger or some sort of virus that the hacker/creator can control and monitor, then they can steal information from your computer.

And obviously number 3 aswell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keystroke_logging
I understand that; as weird as it may sound. I suppose that in the end they get something from having the keylogger installed. What I don't get are the people who just use a plain virus or trojan that only ends up killing your computer. The kind of thing where there is no pay off for doing it in the first place. I mean why come to a place like this or any other sharing community and try and screw other users over? What do you gain from doing it?
Jim81Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 09:22 AM   #5
Elder

I take it you've had a bad experience with such lately Jim81Jim?
FirtY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 11:22 AM   #6
Newcomer

Quote: Originally Posted by FirtY View Post
I take it you've had a bad experience with such lately Jim81Jim?
Yes and no. I have decent anti-viral protection so if I do download something that's bad it usually is picked up right away. It's just it can be such a huge waste of time downloading large file(s) only in the end to find out there is a virus along with them. Especially if it's on a site like rapidshare where it can take awhile to download a decent sized rar or zip.

I've seen others here deal with the issue and this place seem really good about taking care of it right away. But in the end I just don't see the point in why they do it. I mean is there some super secret James Bond like villain out there on the net who schemes on how to infect peoples computers?

Villain--
"Yes. Yes. That'll do. Let's try getting them to download this trojan today. Slip it inside Winrar and upload it to rapidshare."

Henchman--
"Boss why do we do this?"

Villain--
"I don't know. But do it anyway!!!! Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to dance a little"
Old 07-29-09, 02:52 PM   #7
Elite

1. Dumb kiddies think it's funny.

2. Keyloggers to steal your info (paypal,bank info ETC.)

3. To take over your system to use it on a spam network.
elitists is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-09, 02:56 PM   #8
Expert

Yeah, #3 and as elitists said pretty much. I guess it's the kick/buzz of doing it that drives them mostly, plus when people download their stuff they will probably earn download credits and what have you.

Similar to the reasoning behind scammers and stuff you get on eBay and the same for people that do the same with lottery scams and pyramid schemes, damn a$$holes!
nethaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 07:30 AM   #9
Legendary

From experience, I can tell you the people who do share these infected files fall into 3 groups.
The first group are people who find something online, and think it would be good to share it. Some of these members don't even think to scan the files before sharing. Some do think to scan the files, but they are either running outdated, or ineffective virus scanners. Thus, virus gets through, however unintentional it may have been.

The second group are people who have hacked other members accounts, and deliberately share these infected files. These people should be approached with caution, but shot on sight.

The third group are usually members of other forums who are jealous of the reputation and member base of this site, so they deliberately try to trash the name of the site, and steal our members.
These people usually have very little DI**S, and even smaller brains. I know, that's one very small brain.
The internet is a big place, and who cares where people download their shared content from. These people should also be approached with caution, and shot on sight.

I can assure the members though, that we (the staff) have very little tolerance for these people sharing infected files, and we endeavor to download the files and run them through several virus scanners, and then we delete the file, and either issue warnings, or permanently ban the members, depending on the severity, or regularity of the infected shares.

You can all help, when you find a file you have downloaded is infected, if you can please take the time to report the file, and include the details as to the type of infection (Trojan, win32.backdoor....), and also provide the name of the antivirus scanner you use.
You may wonder why these details, some AV's report false positives in many files, and there are some, when they report a problem, we instantly delete the file without the need to download and check.

We do our best, and with your help, we can keep this site the best and safest around!
I always recommend scanning any and every file you download before installation. This isn't fool proof, (as my undetected keyloggers will attest), but it will certainly help.
Gandolph13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 09:37 AM   #10
Expert

To me it is basically a combination of all 3, I know on here when I come across an infected file or a post saying a file/s are infected I check it out myself for confirmation. I do not trust any AV reports except for Kaspersky, BitDefender, McAfee and ESET. Just last night (for me) I came across a post (actually a double post with the same link) for Real Media Player Gold supposedly and everything besides the nfo file was infected with malicious code of some kind. Of course it got reported straight away.
NetherWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-09, 09:13 PM   #11
Newcomer

Quote: Originally Posted by Gandolph13 View Post
We do our best, and with your help, we can keep this site the best and safest around!
I know you guys do; this is one of the cleanest sites I've been to. Personally I've only had to report one thread and it looks like it got taken down pretty quick. The funny thing is I think it's the only time I've ever seen every single spyware and anti-viral program I have go off at once. LOL. So that made me pretty sure on that one. LOL.
Old 07-30-09, 10:13 PM   #12
Novice

Basically they are all the dudes you abused back in school. I was a computer geek in intermediate and high school (non vengeful, but did get picked on) so I basically can just say they are D*CKS. On that note I must attest to tehparadox that this is probably the safest site to download from. I was truly impressed when I heard that every file is downloaded and scanned before being posted for general use. This forum rocks, hackers are scumbags, I mean who needs the credit card number of a dude that most likely has worse credit then they do. They should take their talents and go into the security business.
Tomasu42 is offline   Reply With Quote