The Police - Greatest Hits (1992)
EAC Rip | LOG+CUE | FLAC | Mp3 320k CBR | SCANS
Genre: Rock | Label: A&M records
The Police were one of the biggest new wave bands in the world in the early 80s, uniquely appreciated for their reggae-tinged pop. Among their many memorable singles were "Roxanne", "Message in a Bottle" and "Every Breath You Take".
Even though their first two singles, "Roxanne" and "Can't Stand Losing You", were banned by the BBC on the grounds of "unsuitable subject matter" (prostitution and suicide respectively), their first album Outlandos d'Amour made it to the Top 10 of the UK album charts.
Their second album Reggatta de Blanc, self-mockingly named as a guess at the French for "white reggae", was their Grammy-winning breakthrough, and to promote the album the band embarked on a gruelling world tour. However, the pressure of success and the strains of touring exacerbated personality clashes within the group and the albums Zenyatta Mondatta (1980), Ghost in the Machine (1981) and Synchronicity (1983) were produced in an increasingly tense atmosphere. The latter records were recorded with each of the band in separate rooms and yet despite this, the albums deliver some of their best known and strongest material, including "Every Breath You Take" which reached No.1 in the Billboard Hot 100. Synchronicity was the biggest-selling album of their career, selling over eight million copies in the US alone.
After Synchronicity the band split to pursue solo careers. Stewart Copeland was writing music for films including Rumble Fish and Wall Street, while Andy Summers was also writing music for the screen, with Down and Out in Beverly Hills among his credits. Meanwhile Sting, besides a flourishing acting career, returned to his roots with the jazz-tinted Dream of the Blue Turtles.
In 2003 The Police were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and earned 70th position on the Greatest Artists of All Time list in Rolling Stone magazine. After a break of over 20 years it was announced the band would perform together at the 2007 Grammy ceremony in Los Angeles, and they then embarked on a world tour to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the release of "Roxanne".
01. The Police - Roxanne (3:12)
02. The Police - Can't Stand Losing You (2:48)
03. The Police - So Lonely (4:47)
04. The Police - Message In A Bottle (4:49)
05. The Police - Walking On The Moon (5:02)
06. The Police - The Bed's Too Big Without You (4:24)
07. The Police - Don't Stand So Close To Me (4:01)
08. The Police - De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da (4:07)
09. The Police - Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic (4:20)
10. The Police - Invisible Sun (3:43)
11. The Police - Spirits In The Material World (2:58)
12. The Police - Synchronicity II (5:00)
13. The Police - Every Breath You Take (4:12)
14. The Police - King Of Pain (4:57)
15. The Police - Wrapped Around Your Finger (5:14)
16. The Police - Tea In The Sahara (4:12)