> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-12-12, 06:45 AM   #1
Decrepit

Default Mind-Blowing Book Carvings

The Mind-Blowing Book Carvings of Alexander Korzer Robinson

Bristol-based Alexander Korzer Robinson creates incredible works of art by carving discarded encyclopedias and literally exposing their inner beauty. Book carving is one of the fastest growing art forms of the moment, and artists like Alexander Korzer Robinson, Brian Dettmer and Guy Laramee are leading the movement.

Korzer Robinson carefully cuts into the pages of old encyclopedias, exposing a part of its illustrations, while removing others, to create narrative scenes that are truly unique. While the images seem like they’re somehow suspended in a series of layers inside the book sculptures, they are actually left in their original place. It’s the artist’s technique that makes it look like they were placed there by hand. As you can probably guess by looking at the artworks below, book carving is a delicate and time-consuming process, but the end results are absolutely mind-blowing.

In an interview with My Modern Metropolis, Alexander Korzer Robinson revealed that he has been working with discarded books for almost five years, and that it took a lot of trial and error before he managed to refine his skills to the point where he creates the sculpted wonders we see today. “The most challenging aspect for me is to find the hidden narrative in the books I cut up. I use mainly non-fiction books as a starting point. I then go through those volumes to find my composition. During the actual process, cutting around some of the images and cutting out others, the narrative of the composition evolves further, and the final pieces is a result of planning and chance”, the English artist says about his art.

Robinson is constantly on the lookout for new books, but for him, encyclopedias are as good as it gets “since the articles of an encyclopedia are just connected by alphabetical order, it creates the most interesting juxtapositions”.

http://www.odditycentral.com/pics/the-mind-blowing-book-carvings-of-alexander-korzer-robinson.html#more-29701
Old 05-12-12, 06:58 AM   #2
Untouchable

Wow, that's incredible!
Thanks Plasty!
See, we don't need scantily clad females to enjoy these posts, they do help though!

I think I just figured out what to do with my old encyclopaedias, use them to start the fires.
I got no artistic talent!
Gandolph13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 11:35 AM   #3
Give me your Glow juice..

I would love to see them up close!

Smiles,
Mandy
lvstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 12:23 PM   #4
Noob

Those are wonderful. Now you don't need to open a book to read it! Now all you need is some half naked women next to them and our minds will be blown.
tycoonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 04:15 PM   #5
Untouchable

Quote:
I think I just figured out what to do with my old encyclopaedias, use them to start the fires.
I got no artistic talent!
Quote: Originally Posted by lvstealth View Post
I would love to see them up close!

Smiles,
Mandy
I'm not one to disappoint young ladies..
Here you go my dear:

Old 05-12-12, 04:16 PM   #6
Apprentice
Very cool looking. Thanks.
I wonder if he did one with the artwork omitted and the text left in :p
blackpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 07:39 PM   #7
Give me your Glow juice..

Very hot!

Meow,
Mandy
lvstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 07:53 PM   #8
Sleeps with Kuune

I am definitely impressed! That should spark an interest in reading, well like Playboy, an interest in the pictures!
MacFalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-12, 08:04 PM   #9
Untouchable

Quote: Originally Posted by MacFalic View Post
I am definitely impressed! That should spark an interest in reading, well like Playboy, an interest in the pictures!
Unless they used Ribald??
Most of today's generation won't know that publication but I remember stopping in at the newsagents on the way to high school and hiding an off the shelf ribald in the middle of a motorbike magazine to browse the articles. I only read it for the stories and, for inspiration. I went to school with some ugly sheila's.

I'd hate to imagine what would pop out at you if they used that......
Old 05-12-12, 08:11 PM   #10
Sleeps with Kuune

Pop out indeed!

When I reached the age of curiosity, other than playing "Doctor", I collected National Geographic magazines. Couldn't put down the issues with naked or nearly naked natives.

The older I got the more I got interested in Sex-to-Sexty magazines.

Survey question of the decade: Has your sex life become a laughing stock?
MacFalic is offline   Reply With Quote