> > >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-10, 07:39 PM   #1
Novice
Default Can steam detect pirated games?

So i have all kinds of PC games that i play all from here. If i install steam, make an account, and legitimately buy a game from it and play online, will steam also detect my other pirated games and cause my account to get banned/locked? just a bit paranoid here..
Old 12-01-10, 09:14 PM   #2
2nd Gen. of Phenom II CPU

If the games you downloaded/pirated uses Steam activation, then you should uninstall those games and delete their directory folders. Steam will detect those games and ask you to pay for it. If you don't pay for it or uninstall it, you get flagged. After so many flags over a period of time, your account gets disabled.

I have a Steam account with over 200 games. I stop downloading pirated games because one of the false-positive crack file wasn't "false-positive" at all, and my Steam account got hijacked for 5 hours. Luckly, none of my games got a Vac Ban. With Steam you can wait for the holidays and buy games at a massive discount. Sometimes you can buy them in a pack. I bought like a 23 game pack for like $40.
PhenomIIX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-10, 11:27 PM   #3
Novice
Thanks so much for the info, but is there a list of games that require steam so i can just completely avoid those?

i just downloaded steam but havent installed yet..but im going to as soon as i get that list. Gonna buy Bad Company 2. $20 not bad..might drop as low as $10 over the holiday sale but i cant wait!
j00zl33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 12:33 AM   #4

I highly doubt BF:Bad Company 2 is going to drop from $20 to $10. As for the list, you're on your own for that.

If you need help with Steam, you can go to their forums. Don't mention you download or pirate your games because they will instantly ban your forum account. Your Steam account and forum account are not tied together, so you don't need to worry about losing your Steam. I have already lost two forum accounts, but I still have my main Steam account.
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/
Old 12-02-10, 11:10 AM   #5
Novice

Just log in to steam, search for the game. If it exists on steams database, dont download it. If it doesnt exist on their database, pirate away!!!
jackinthebox6386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 03:18 PM   #6
Expert
Pfftt..... I got Oblivion, Fallout New Vegas, The Witcher and Batman Arkham Asylum, all of which are in the Steam store, downloaded from here and added in my Steam games and nothing has happened. Don't worry about it if you ask me. Now if it's something like MW2 where it requires Steam, then yeah take precautions otherwise I'd say you're good to go.
Goliath77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 03:59 PM   #7
Newcomer
I've had a big list of games on my steam list and use it to play steam, non steam, pirated, and pirated steam games from. The simple truth of the matter is, steam doesn't react to any of it (in my experience) and I've never heard of anyone getting banned/locked for doing so. From a business standpoint it doesn't make sense either because you use steam, play on it, so why bust you for games? They sell them, and in many cases (like the CoD series since MW1) it's less hassle to buy the game's multiplayer side on steam then worry week to week if a new fix/patch will ruin your hacked product.

So I honestly don't see from an experience and business standpoint of steam ever touching your account, I mean you did pay after all, and they heavily encourage you to buy from them in the future.
dragon362 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 07:17 PM   #8
Novice
Ok guys well heres the list of games that require steam;

link

so if anything i'd stay away from those games or at least not add them to your list OR just have steam off when playing.

I do have a question though..i do have pirated games but ive been buying some multiplayer games off steam recently and you guys did confirm that i can add the pirated games to my list, but what would the point be? Would steam start enabling trophies and count game time for the pirated games?

Last edited by j00zl33t; 12-02-10 at 07:41 PM.
Old 12-02-10, 07:29 PM   #9
Novice
You forgot to wrap your link with [code] tags like this.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_developed_by_Valve
sickpuppy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 08:06 PM   #10
Novice
OMG OMG OMG

am i screwed?

I was downloading more games on steam when I ran Metro 2033 i downloaded from here..suddenly in the menu a verifying authentication thing comes out and i immediately log off...i find out that metro has steam support...so what should i expect my steam account to get disabled? or does it have to happen at least a few times?
Old 12-02-10, 08:56 PM   #11

Quote: Originally Posted by j00zl33t View Post
OMG OMG OMG

am i screwed?

I was downloading more games on steam when I ran Metro 2033 i downloaded from here..suddenly in the menu a verifying authentication thing comes out and i immediately log off...i find out that metro has steam support...so what should i expect my steam account to get disabled? or does it have to happen at least a few times?
The first time it happens, they'll let it go, but it starts happening more and more frequently, then they will disable your account.
Old 12-02-10, 09:00 PM   #12
Novice
are you sure??

Man i am sooo paranoid right now. I just bought Bad Company 2 before the verification and just installed it..if im gonna get banned im just gonna call my bank and tell them to cancel the charge $20 since i know steam wont give me a refund especially if my account gets disabled...

please verify this...

Last edited by j00zl33t; 12-02-10 at 09:03 PM.
Old 12-02-10, 09:34 PM   #13
Novice
If Steam does any sort of monitoring on a persons computer then they are setting themselves up for a violation of privacy lawsuit. If you purchased software from them then they ban your account for what they think is piracy then you can bend them over a table and have your way with them in court. Not only will they have to dodge the privacy violation suit but they will have to fend off fraud and slander suits as well. Just imagine the public relations nightmare that would cause for them.
blackdragonsdg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-10, 10:01 PM   #14

Quote: Originally Posted by j00zl33t View Post
are you sure??

Man i am sooo paranoid right now. I just bought Bad Company 2 before the verification and just installed it..if im gonna get banned im just gonna call my bank and tell them to cancel the charge $20 since i know steam wont give me a refund especially if my account gets disabled...

please verify this...
If you're so paranoid about it, then you should go uninstall and delete all your downloaded/pirated pc games. Problem solved.