> > >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-16-12, 01:32 PM   #1
Elite
Default Should I Get Latest Nvidia Drivers for GPU I Just Bought?

Hi there! I just recently bought a Gigabyte GTX 550 Ti 1GB card (which should arrive in a few days). I'm upgrading from an old ATI Radeon 2600 XT card. It's actually going to be the first time that I replace a video card, so I just want to know if I have the right idea on what to do when the new card arrives.

Here's my plan:

1. Download the latest Nvidia drivers for the GTX 550 Ti card, which is the 301.42 driver (as far as I can tell).
2. Uninstall all ATI drivers.
3. Use Driver Sweeper to hunt down the last remnants of ATI drivers and kill them.
4. Restart PC and run Driver Sweeper again to see if there are really no more ATI driver stuff that's been left behind.
5. Unplug computer, touch some metal, remove ATI Radeon 2600 XT card from computer.
6. Insert GTX 550 Ti card and plug the wires for the power supply (a 6-pin/hole thing).
7. Plug the PC back in and restart the computer.
8. Install the 301.42 driver.

Is this how it's supposed to be done, or should I just install the drivers that I believe should come with the GTX 550 Ti card's disc?

Thanks in advance
Old 06-16-12, 01:45 PM   #2
The Perseverant

Download the drivers for sure. Take your time! Otherwise, your plan looks about perfect.

However, the 2600xt is quite old... Will your power supply be powerful enough to run the newer 550 ti

Last edited by kolewan; 06-16-12 at 01:48 PM.
kolewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 01:49 PM   #3
Newcomer
When you buy a new video card, especially one that was recently released, it's always best to download the latest drivers and install those.
lemkethor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 04:28 PM   #4
Expert
If you restart after removing the drivers, it will just reload them. The fastest way is to just disable the video card and its' drivers. Shut the computer off put the new card in then let the computer load the new drivers. After it is done remove the drivers you don't use. Then go find the newest drivers.
Soothsayerlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 06:21 PM   #5
Elite
Thanks for the tips! Yup, my power supply "should" be able to handle it, the card says it needs 400 watts and I have 500.

I didn't know that the system will reload the old drivers if I restarted, oh well I at least I got the new drivers ready to install when the card arrives
Adeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 02:22 AM   #6
Apprentice

You don't need to worry so much about driver sweeping and whatnot. Just swap the cards and download/install the new nvidia drivers.
curb193 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 10:30 AM   #7
Newcomer

Quote: Originally Posted by Adeno View Post
Thanks for the tips! Yup, my power supply "should" be able to handle it, the card says it needs 400 watts and I have 500.

I didn't know that the system will reload the old drivers if I restarted, oh well I at least I got the new drivers ready to install when the card arrives
Be careful with the Wattage assumption as that is what I did with my new graphics card I just bought (Geforce GTX 560 TI 448).

Thought my power supply was sufficient at 550W when it said it needed 500W but it turned out that my psu was a cheap one and the amount of Amps it could handle on the main rail was nowhere near what my card required.

The computer kept crashing and restarting whenever trying to play a game or do the windows score test thingy.

Bought a new XFX Pro Series 650W psu and that solved it straightaway.

Which make and model PSU do u have at the moment?
karlosr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 02:33 PM   #8
LSD
Apprentice
when swapping out an different brand theres more to it than just removing old drivers.
to get a stable system you will need to do a minimum of a repair install so your hal is rewritten with the correct proprietary drivers that windows uses to boot the system b4 it loads up the ati/nvidia 1s.
you can just try and replace the hal via the cmd prompt but i found this to be difficult for less experienced users.
to do the basic repair install you will need a copy of you o.s disk, just boot off it and select custom follow the on screen prompts till you finish... not that hard...
if you dont bother you will risk system stability. you will after a while start getting random bsods and constant driver has stopped working messages. you can keep em at bay with reg cleaning but its short term fix. so best do the repair install or the hal fix as soon as you replace the card.
i know this is an issue when you swap from nvidia to ati but im not sure how bad it is when you swap from ati back to nvidia.
see how it goes but at least you know where to start if the system does become unstable...
LSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 01:02 AM   #9
Elite
Here's my current power supply:

Silverstone Element ST50EF-PLUS 500W ATX12V 24PIN Power Supply W/120MM Fan Active PFC 80PLUS RoHS

It's interesting to hear that the repair thing from the OS disc might be needed. I believe this is the first time I've learned that switching graphics cards might have a little trouble. Thanks for the heads up, if weird crashes happen, I know the next thing to try
Adeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-12, 02:22 AM   #10
Apprentice
Be careful the power supply might not be enough and just cut out or your fans need more power since most of the power would be directed to the video card and overheat ur pc
Zero_Desu is offline   Reply With Quote