> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-12, 08:15 AM   #15
Autobot Supreme Commander

Quote: Originally Posted by strizay View Post
What other option do I have? I could output the audio signal with those crappy cables that have one 1 white and 1 red plug that are going into a adapter to fit into one of the 3 headphone jack sized inputs on the back of the PC, but that is definitely not going to give me 5.1. That's how I previously had it set up until I received the optical cables yesterday.

I do have the receiver set with matching HDMI and optical audio for both the PC and the 360. If only the receiver would output the HDMI signal to my TV, I would be OK and I wouldn't need any other cables except the HDMI.
Then I would suggest doing remote assistance as something isn't quite right here...

Should be all very simple indeed.
Omega_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 08:28 AM   #16
Apprentice
you mean contact Realtek for support? Your image above is exactly how mine is supposed to look. I did manage to restore audio back to my TV by HDMI though, but that isn't what I was trying to do. I know it's probably something simple that I am missing. LOL.
strizay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-12, 12:21 PM   #17
Autobot Supreme Commander

you mean contact Realtek for support? Your image above is exactly how mine is supposed to look. I did manage to restore audio back to my TV by HDMI though, but that isn't what I was trying to do. I know it's probably something simple that I am missing. LOL.
No, I mean me or if you prefer someone else to use MSN or something to initiate a remote control of your PC to assist you. I have often done it for mates who have had problems, that person can then remotely control your PC. Obviously you should be checking what they are doing and if they are doing anything dodgy press ESC or something to remove control from the user.
Omega_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 04:24 AM   #18
"Red Rover, Red Rover"

Strizay, rgfprince is right (it's about the player) - try switching to VLC player; set 'Audio Device' to "A/52 over S/PDIF" - you can access the 'Audio Device' menu whilst watching a movie by right clicking; otherwise enter settings / preferences to permanently set this as your default setting. If you still have output problems then I don't know what it is but if it is like my problem (see below) then this should resolve it.

I have an HTPC connected to a Yamaha amp via TOSlink (amp too old to accept HDMI - waiting to upgrade). I had the exact same problem (Realtek / no 5.1 output) and was trying to use Win 7 Media Centre. I spent days trying to get 5.1 to work only to find that Win 7 Media Centre simply does not pass through 5.1 via optical; you will only ever get stereo. Trust me - unless something changed in last few months - I tried everything you are currently looking at on Google: changing codecs / changing drivers / changing Windows settings / changing Media Player settings - only ever stereo output.

It's a pain as Media Centre is my preference (for wife to use easily / better Logitech remote functionality / inclusion of library facilities etc) but no 5.1 over optical, so VLC was a must use option for me.

Hope this helps

Last edited by spudsickle; 06-16-12 at 04:40 AM.
spudsickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-12, 04:33 AM   #19
Master

A couple of wild guesses.

If you're not going to use the onboard audio, try disabling the Realtek hardware in the BIOS.

Is the receiver on, connected and the computer's HDMI selected when the computer is powered up? Maybe the computer thinks "Oh No! Nobody's listening to my HDMI audio output" if it doesn't find something there when it wakes up. HDMI is a two-way link, and sometimes it can be too clever. My HTPC defaults to VGA output only if I don't have it selected as a source when it powers up.

Last edited by clenchdwarf; 06-16-12 at 04:39 AM.
clenchdwarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 01:23 PM   #20
Elder

I would suspect that you only ever get 2 channel in Windows is because optical only supports 2 channels of PCM signal (if memory serves 192 KHz at 24 bits). Encoded audio (ac3/dts) has no configurable values, your player should be able to set the optical to pass through which just passes the audio un-touched (bypassing the windows mixer) direct to your amp. I think this is probably a player issue (has to be set there or in your codecs e.g. ac3 player etc), but it has been some time since I used optical so I could be forgetting something.

Cheers,

Jiff
JiffOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 01:27 PM   #21
Elder

Quote: Originally Posted by spudsickle View Post
I have an HTPC connected to a Yamaha amp via TOSlink (amp too old to accept HDMI - waiting to upgrade). I had the exact same problem (Realtek / no 5.1 output) and was trying to use Win 7 Media Centre. I spent days trying to get 5.1 to work only to find that Win 7 Media Centre simply does not pass through 5.1 via optical; you will only ever get stereo. Trust me - unless something changed in last few months - I tried everything you are currently looking at on Google: changing codecs / changing drivers / changing Windows settings / changing Media Player settings - only ever stereo output.
I seem to remember something about microsoft not paying for the codecs any more which is why you do not get in windows by default anymore.

Cheers,

Jiff
JiffOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-12, 02:29 PM   #22
Apprentice
That really doesn't have anything to do with my problem, but I left you rep anyway. I don't think I'm getting my point across clearly.
Of course it has something to do with your problem, I would not have said it otherwise.

If you want 5.1 over optical you need to make sure you are bitstreaming the raw AC3/DTS tracks rather than allowing Windows (or your video player) to decode them.
voodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 01:58 PM   #23
Apprentice
maybe I'm misunderstanding. Here's what I know:

1. the receiver does not out put video from the PC or the Xbox by hdmi to the TV.

2. the xbox does out put 5.1 audio to the receiver by optical cable.

3. the PC does not out put 5.1 audio at all even though the manual states that it should.

Ok, now that everything is down to the extreme basics, maybe I can go from there. I am using The KMPlayer and there is a setting to out put the audio at 5.1 but whenever I switch to it, there is no audio at all.

Quote: Originally Posted by clenchdwarf View Post
A couple of wild guesses.

If you're not going to use the onboard audio, try disabling the Realtek hardware in the BIOS.

Is the receiver on, connected and the computer's HDMI selected when the computer is powered up? Maybe the computer thinks "Oh No! Nobody's listening to my HDMI audio output" if it doesn't find something there when it wakes up. HDMI is a two-way link, and sometimes it can be too clever. My HTPC defaults to VGA output only if I don't have it selected as a source when it powers up.
Bah! Now you're going to make me try it again. LOL. I'm going to try it first with the Xbox since it's easier to disconnect. I am using the onboard audio, that's what my problem is about.

edit: I just tried it again. With HDMI cables from the Xbox and the PC going into the receiver and then out to the TV, I get audio but no video. I don't know, either the TV doesn't like the video signal or the receiver is not putting out the video signal. I should have checked to see if the TV was receiving audio when I did the test since I know it's not receiving audio.

Last edited by strizay; 06-18-12 at 02:31 PM.
Old 06-20-12, 11:24 PM   #24
Apprentice
bumping this up.
Old 06-21-12, 07:21 PM   #25
Apprentice
@Sldappu what is that cable called that you mentioned? I'm going to try what you suggested.
Old 06-21-12, 11:27 PM   #26
Apprentice
So I think I'm partially on the right path to fixing my problem. It does involve converting audio. And yes, at this point I also believe I'm talking to myself. Anyway, I took a .flac audio file and converted it to .wav file because I am able to get sound out of 5.1 channels with Dolby Digital. The next step is to upscale the audio from 2 channel to 5.1.

Here's what the current audio file looks like:

General
Complete name : C:\Users\Strizay\Desktop\Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked.wav
Format : Wave
File size : 238 MiB
Duration : 52mn 2s
Overall bit rate mode : Constant
Overall bit rate : 640 Kbps

Audio
ID : 0
Format : AC-3
Format/Info : Audio Coding 3
Mode extension : CM (complete main)
Format settings, Endianness : Big
Codec ID : 2000
Duration : 52mn 2s
Bit rate mode : Constant
Bit rate : 640 Kbps
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel positions : Front: L R
Sampling rate : 48.0 KHz
Bit depth : 16 bits
Compression mode : Lossy
Stream size : 238 MiB (100%)
Old 06-22-12, 01:08 PM   #27
Novice
Have you tried testing Dolby or DTS in the "supported formats" tab of your digital out under Windows audio control panel? If that works and you get Dolby and/or DTS displayed on the amp then the issue is with the media player.
l1qu1d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-12, 01:21 PM   #28
Apprentice
Yep, I can get sound from all 5 speaker when I run the tests. I think it's my video files I am using. I just checked and 1 out of 5 has 6 channel audio. I think you may be on to something.