> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-12, 11:19 PM   #1
Elder

Exclamation Cisco Pushing 'Cloud Connect' Router Firmware, Allows Web History Tracking

"Reports have started popping up that Cisco is pushing out and automatically (without permission) installing their new Cloud Connect firmware on consumer routers. The new firmware removes the user's ability to login and administer the router locally. You now must configure the router using Cisco's Cloud connect service. If that wasn't bad enough, the fine print for this new service allows Cisco to track your complete internet history. Currently, it appears the only way to disable the Cloud Connect service is to unplug your router from the internet."

Source:
http://tech.slashdot.org/story/12/06/29/1425210/cisco-pushing-cloud-connect-router-firmware-allows-web-history-tracking
Old 06-30-12, 12:23 AM   #2
\_(ツ)_/

Edit:
Oh really? If eventually true, I'll have to consider to avoid routers from the company then.

Last edited by L1b3rta; 06-30-12 at 12:27 AM.
L1b3rta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 12:33 AM   #3
Expert
Quote:
We may share aggregated and anonymous user experience information with service providers, contractors or other third parties
They probably have it in mind to cash in on the stats, which is some incentive to make sure everyone's using it - like it or not!

Gotta admit, I would go totally ape-shit if they did this to me.
What a colossal balls up.
Valid_Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 01:12 AM   #4
Elder

Tomato ftw!
FirtY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 01:17 AM   #5
No kitty! bad kitty!!!

Well, if they do that you can expect load of custom firmwares for that company routers without any monitoring software or cloud thing, so its all good
Mbbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 04:06 AM   #6
Too sexy for this board

So whats the thinking behind this?

That people "arent" going to notice.

And that people wont get mega upset and stop buying it?

Moves like this are suicidal to sales.
SteveJones7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 04:29 AM   #7
Newcomer
TOMATO 4 SURE!!!

b1sgas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 05:05 AM   #8
Guru

I have a Cisco, very good modem/router, I must admit. But if Cisco keeps that policy next time I'll buy a Belkin, so the problem is solved. Sorry, Cisco, it was nice until it lasted.

So long
Shawn_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 07:45 AM   #9
Newcomer
Hopefully Netgear and other companies dont follow

Last edited by igenther99; 06-30-12 at 07:47 AM.
igenther99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 09:08 AM   #10
Lost One

This better not happen or i'm going to turn my cisco router to ash.
darklightv2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 12:58 PM   #11
Fledgling Something

This cannot be true. Consider how many enterprise products Cisco makes. No company in the world would stand for this - that data or any other data from the company or it's employees would be considered confidential. Essentially what you are saying would be a major breach in network security and there is no way Cisco would advertise that.

Unless this is just for consumer products... but really when does Cisco make a 'consumer' product? All Cisco products are really for business customers. The consumer-level stuff it makes is branded under Linksys I thought.
ST0boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 01:10 PM   #12
Guru

Linksys and Cisco have been the same thing for years now. All linksys router are branded Cisco System, there is no more difference as it might be years ago - cheap modem linksys, expensive professional modem Cisco. It is not so now, so their policy affects everybody if actually Cisco wants to do that.

Anyway It's not so clear, it seems it is not compulsory to install Cloud Connect as it's not compulsory to install Cisco network manager or what it's called, a good example of crapware.
Old 06-30-12, 01:17 PM   #13
Fledgling Something

Quote: Originally Posted by Shawn_7 View Post
Linksys and Cisco have been the same thing for years now. All linksys router are branded Cisco System, there is no more difference as it might be years ago - cheap modem linksys, expensive professional modem Cisco. It is not so now, so their policy affects everybody if actually Cisco wants to do that.

Anyway It's not so clear, it seems it is not compulsory to install Cloud Connect as it's not compulsory to install Cisco network manager or what it's called, a good example of crapware.
Reading slashdot if you disable the automatic update to the firmware with cloud connect your router's firmware is no longer 'supported'.
ST0boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-12, 02:58 PM   #14
Guru

Quote: Originally Posted by ST0boy View Post
Reading slashdot if you disable the automatic update to the firmware with cloud connect your router's firmware is no longer 'supported'.
Who cares if your firmware is not supported if it works? Cisco must anyway give support within 2-years warranty if you are not using third party firmware, and anyway to change firmware is a very fast operation.

so what? Are they seriously thinking they are not being ridiculous?