Old 12-13-12, 07:41 AM   #1
Invincible

Default Google Maps is Back!

9:54AM EST December 13. 2012 - Google Maps is now available for iPhone users to download as an app.

Three months after Apple removed Google Maps as a built-in map and replaced it with its own product, Google said Wednesday that its revised map was finally approved by the iPhone maker to be listed in the Apple app store.

"People around the world have been asking for Google Maps on iPhone," wrote Daniel Graf, Director of Google Maps for Mobile, in the company blog. "It's designed from the ground up."

Google redesigned the app to show more map on screen than the previous version that was quashed by Apple for iPhone. The map also "loads more quickly and provides smooth tilting and rotating of 2D and 3D views," Graf says.

When users search for a place of interest, say a restaurant, an expandable information sheet at the bottom shows the address, opening hours, ratings and reviews, images and directions. The map contains more than 80 million businesses and points of interest, Graf says.

Google also installed voice-guided, turn-by-turn navigation, which was missing from the previous version. Live traffic conditions, public transportation information, Street View and Business Photos that show photos of inside places are also included.

The Google Maps app is available with any iPhone or iPod Touch that runs iOS 5.1 or higher.
Old 12-13-12, 08:42 AM   #2
Newcomer
The current generation is made up of many people interested in programming.
The current generation loves to mod, make changes, customize.

Android already has the highest market share(only difference is that iOS is more expensive than Android thats why Apple has more money)

People don't like it when they are told the cant do something.

Apple is going to have to bend their stiff backs if they wanna keep their audience
kratm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 08:50 AM   #3
Elite

They should of starved Apple to death of decent Maps.
ItalicPixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 08:59 AM   #4
Invincible

Well once your iphone is jailbroken, (which is fun doing ) it's a whole different game. It does suck if you update or get a new phone before a jailbreak is released, and it has been tougher and tougher for the Dev team to jailbreak since the 4s has come out. I think a jailbreak for IOS 6 is close, but after that who knows. Once the iphone becomes "unjailbreakable" then Android may be the way to go. I like the hardware of the iPhone, it feels like a well made piece of technology , while most droids have a cheap plastic feel to them, but I have not held the newest ones s3 and such.*I did own a Google Nexus for a short while, But for now i like the iPhone ,just waiting on jailbreak so i can get one of my favorite apps "Iblacklist" it lets you block numbers so bill collectors can't get through!
Penrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 09:25 AM   #5
Invincible

My daughter sold her iphone 4 and got a samsung galaxy note, it's pretty cool but she said she wishes she had her iPhone back, she actually went to get an iphone 5 and they were out of stock , with about a 3 week wait on shipping. She could not wait and wanted to get something that day , so she got the note (first generation) and now wishes she had a little more patience
Old 12-13-12, 09:30 AM   #6
Invincible

Quote: Originally Posted by Notorious_dog View Post
If I ever get a smart phone (not an apple) I wanna get one of those Samsung type phones with the massive screen that makes it almost look like a mini tablet... !! those things are like? almost comical they're so huge. Except, then again, I wanna get one that isn't gona snap, if I happen to put it into my back pocket and I fall on my ass or something.

I also want ten hot babes serving me with gourmet food :D
You still sporting the flip phone?
Old 12-18-12, 06:54 PM   #7
Newcomer
Quote: Originally Posted by kratm View Post
The current generation is made up of many people interested in programming.
The current generation loves to mod, make changes, customize.

Android already has the highest market share(only difference is that iOS is more expensive than Android thats why Apple has more money)

People don't like it when they are told the cant do something.

Apple is going to have to bend their stiff backs if they wanna keep their audience
I too am the same way with some things. Let's keeping poking and see what will happen.
ZEROtoUNLIMITED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-12, 03:14 PM   #8
Newcomer
good!
fretless is offline   Reply With Quote