> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-12, 08:08 AM   #1
Elder

Film New MPEG standard halves video bandwidth with no quality loss

The Moving Picture Experts Group (MPEG) has produced a draft standard for a new video-compression format that delivers the same video quality in half the bandwidth of the current H.264 standard.

The draft, High Efficiency Video Coding (HEVC also known as H.265 and MPEG-H Part 2), announced today, agreed on at an MPEG meeting in Stockholm in July attended by 450 delegates from the telecoms, computer, TV and consumer electronics industries convened to approve and issue the new standard.

The chair of the Swedish delegation and organiser of the meeting, Per Fröjdh, manager for visual technology at Ericsson Research, said the outcome would have "an enormous impact on the industry."

"There's a lot of industry interest in this because it means you can halve the bit rate and still achieve the same visual quality, or double the number of television channels with the same bandwidth," he said.

"The availability of a new compression format to reduce bandwidth, particularly in mobile networks where spectrum is expensive [and] paves the way for service providers to launch more video services with the currently available spectrum."

He added: "Video accounts for the vast majority of all data sent over networks, and that proportion is increasing: by 2015, it is predicted to account for 90 percent of all network traffic."

Fröjdh said he believed that the HEVC format could be implemented in commercial products as early as in 2013. "It will take time before it's launched for a TV service, but adoption is much quicker in the mobile area, and we'll probably see the first services for mobile use cases next yea."

In June MPEGLA, an organisation that claims to be "the world's leading packager of patent pools for standards and other technology platforms," issued a call to holders of patents essential to the new standard to come forward.

"By starting the joint license facilitation process now, the market can enjoy the earliest opportunity to plan for deployment of this promising new technology," said MPEG LA president and CEO Larry Horn. "MPEG LA is pleased to assist in facilitating a convenient, independently administered, one-stop patent licensing alternative to assist users with implementation of their technology choices and invites all patent holders to participate."

Meanwhile Fröjdh's Visual Technology team at Ericsson is working with MPEG on a new 3D video compression format that would enable the development of 3D video systems that did not require 3D glasses. Fröjdh said the technology could be standardised by 2014.

"Future 3D technology will have more advanced displays, which will enable different views," he says. "The simpler versions of this technology will still just offer the two views we have today – left and right – without the need for glasses. But in the future, there will be many views next to each other, so you will simply move your head to the left or the right to give you a stereo impression of an object."

Source:
http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/technology/56199-new-mpeg-standard-halves-video-bandwidth-with-no-quality-loss
Old 08-15-12, 09:05 AM   #2
Professional Garden Gnome

Yayyy!
Oamey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-12, 09:33 AM   #3
Elder

@User_O1O: I wholeheartedly agree, and it's true across the entire spectrum of technology from automobiles to encryption, the establishment decides whether a technology is "too" disruptive and endeavor to smother out all that disturb the status quo "too" much.
FirtY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-12, 09:43 AM   #4
Elite

Thanks for the info Firty!
cazmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-12, 11:15 AM   #5
Apprentice
sounds promising.
godhands_akuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-12, 04:49 PM   #6
Luminiferous Ether Sailor

This is a major improvement and I look forward to it. Since H.265 is just a newer MPEG version I'm sure the codec will be released in due time, as in previous versions. I do hope H.265 isn't infested with greedy patent trolls a la the H.264 version, its true Achilles Heel. Time will tell.
PhoenixBSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 01:14 AM   #7
Master
Sounds fantastic. Too bad this is going to be used mostly to increase quantity and decrease cost instead of improving quality.

Same attitude that ruined free digital OTA tv (dvb-t) in germany. Instead of increasing quality they opted to reduce quality as much as possible (in reality, even further than that) so they could cram much more channels in the available bandwidth. Even tho it was in fact violating the dvb-t specs if I remember correctly. Quality was actually quite a bit worse than SVCD with tons of compression artifacts.

But that's another story. Let's hope for the best and pray that h.265 will be used to improve quality, not quantity (and thus profits).
Loora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 01:39 PM   #8
Newcomer
Quote:
"Future 3D technology will have more advanced displays, which will enable different views," he says. "The simpler versions of this technology will still just offer the two views we have today – left and right – without the need for glasses. But in the future, there will be many views next to each other, so you will simply move your head to the left or the right to give you a stereo impression of an object."
Come on Future Video Games! Lets get this ball rolling!
hazet3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 08:49 PM   #9
Green Lantern

Suh-weet!
Drifterx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-12, 11:26 PM   #10
No kitty! bad kitty!!!

I don't have needs for anything that reduce size and keep quality.
I need something to keep size and improve quality.

Direction where they going isn't good imo.
Mbbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 01:47 AM   #11
Apprentice
Quote: Originally Posted by Mbbest View Post
I don't have needs for anything that reduce size and keep quality.
I need something to keep size and improve quality.

Direction where they going isn't good imo.
HEVC allows that.
voodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 01:53 AM   #12
No kitty! bad kitty!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by voodu View Post
HEVC allows that.
lol Yea, makes sense doesnt it..silly me :)))
Old 08-17-12, 03:08 AM   #13
Apprentice
Yes, whether you want smaller size or better quality is simply two different ways of looking at the same thing. A more efficient codec allows either.

It is up to the person encoding to choose what they want.

Do you want 1080p movies at 4Mbps that look just as good as H264 does at 8Mbps?
Or do you want 1080p movies at 8Mbps that look better than H264 at 8Mbps? Both are possible.

Of course there is diminishing returns with all codecs. As you increase bitrate, at some point H264 looks so good that it is 99% identical to the source. So it is impossible for HEVC to look noticeably better at the same bitrate.

When you approach this point of transparency it makes much more sense to concentrate on smaller size rather than better quality.

So this is what I expect the scene to do. For HEVC the scene will use about 2-4Mbps for 720p and 4-8Mbps for 1080p.

Of course this is all just speculation because it will take several years for HEVC encoders to mature. Remember that x264 took a long time to become as good as it currently is.
voodu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-12, 06:11 AM   #14
No kitty! bad kitty!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by voodu View Post
Yes, whether you want smaller size or better quality is simply two different ways of looking at the same thing. A more efficient codec allows either.

It is up to the person encoding to choose what they want.

Do you want 1080p movies at 4Mbps that look just as good as H264 does at 8Mbps?
Or do you want 1080p movies at 8Mbps that look better than H264 at 8Mbps? Both are possible.

Of course there is diminishing returns with all codecs. As you increase bitrate, at some point H264 looks so good that it is 99% identical to the source. So it is impossible for HEVC to look noticeably better at the same bitrate.

When you approach this point of transparency it makes much more sense to concentrate on smaller size rather than better quality.

So this is what I expect the scene to do. For HEVC the scene will use about 2-4Mbps for 720p and 4-8Mbps for 1080p.

Of course this is all just speculation because it will take several years for HEVC encoders to mature. Remember that x264 took a long time to become as good as it currently is.

Well I know you can choose when you encode stuff, but on quality part I was thinking at TV broadcast, they will "keep" quality and add more programs instead of make better quality for programs already on air.

Well, lets hope codec will be free to use and not restricted by loads of patents like PhoenixBSD already said.