> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-14-12, 03:27 PM   #1
\_(ツ)_/

Cancel NO: Microsoft's 'Secure Boot'

Quote:
Microsoft has announced that if computer makers wish to distribute machines with the Windows 8 compatibility logo, they will have to implement a measure called "Secure Boot." However, it is currently up for grabs whether this technology will live up to its name, or will instead earn the name Restricted Boot.

When done correctly, "Secure Boot" is designed to protect against malware by preventing computers from loading unauthorized binary programs when booting. In practice, this means that computers implementing it won't boot unauthorized operating systems -- including initially authorized systems that have been modified without being re-approved.

This could be a feature deserving of the name, as long as the user is able to authorize the programs she wants to use, so she can run free software written and modified by herself or people she trusts. However, we are concerned that Microsoft and hardware manufacturers will implement these boot restrictions in a way that will prevent users from booting anything other than Windows. In this case, we are better off calling the technology Restricted Boot, since such a requirement would be a disastrous restriction on computer users and not a security feature at all.

Please add your name to the following statement, to show computer manufacturers, governments, and Microsoft that you care about this freedom and will work to protect it.

Quote:
We, the undersigned, urge all computer makers implementing UEFI's so-called "Secure Boot" to do it in a way that allows free software operating systems to be installed. To respect user freedom and truly protect user security, manufacturers must either allow computer owners to disable the boot restrictions, or provide a sure-fire way for them to install and run a free software operating system of their choice. We commit that we will neither purchase nor recommend computers that strip users of this critical freedom, and we will actively urge people in our communities to avoid such jailed systems.

http://www.fsf.org/campaigns/secure-boot-vs-restricted-boot/statement
Old 05-14-12, 04:30 PM   #2
Elite

It's a way to stop people from using programs like VLC. There's another thread that brought up Microsoft doing away with Media Player, and then releasing licenses so you can view what's on your DVD or something like that. Everyone in the thread was like "Meh, people use different stuff anyways," which is alright since programs like VLC does not piggyback off of Media Player coding to make it work. It be one way of ensuring that people can't use other programs except their own.

It's another bastardizing the consumers tactic. If you insult, and harm the consumers you do have, they tend to look elsewhere.
usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 05:21 PM   #3
Hellblazer

Location: On a little rock floating in the vast emptiness of the multiverse
Well, I guess W8 is something I'll have to make do without. Hopefully MS falls flat on its face and loses billions with it, so they'll know better in the future.
HeavyGrimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 05:25 PM   #4
Autobot Supreme Commander

Too many bloody OS' all the time. Just don't buy it.
Omega_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 05:52 PM   #5
Guru

it's the old palladium project resumed. I knew microsoft hadn't given up, they want to realize Orwell's 1984 nightmare

http://www.zyra.tv/pallad3.htm

http://www.zyra.net/uefi-secure-boot.htm
Shawn_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 07:29 PM   #6
Newcomer
I'll stick with Win7 then.
awdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-12, 11:17 PM   #7
Bad command or file name

Quote: Originally Posted by usiel View Post
It's a way to stop people from using programs like VLC. There's another thread that brought up Microsoft doing away with Media Player, and then releasing licenses so you can view what's on your DVD or something like that. Everyone in the thread was like "Meh, people use different stuff anyways," which is alright since programs like VLC does not piggyback off of Media Player coding to make it work. It be one way of ensuring that people can't use other programs except their own.

It's another bastardizing the consumers tactic. If you insult, and harm the consumers you do have, they tend to look elsewhere.
Secure boot wouldn't stop the loading of unauthorized binaries from within windows, only booting from unauthorized binaries. I still don't like it though.
Noledox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 02:57 AM   #8
No kitty! bad kitty!!!

^^
am not sure I get it..my English doesn't serve me best, so if apps can work then there isnt anymore dual-boot aka linux? I see no damage there :D
Mbbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 03:52 AM   #9
Expert

Microsoft Windows is the dominating OS in the market, why block other OS, are they feeling threated, by who? Linux, MacOS, I don't think Linux and MacOS it's a threat for windows. Piracy, No matter how much money you spend making a anti-piracy system, it will get hacked in the first 48 hours, there will be a complicated way to hack available for about a 5 days, and then a program with one big click button.

So what is it then?
RaptorHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 06:33 AM   #10
Apprentice
Quote: Originally Posted by RaptorHunter View Post
...it will get hacked in the first 48 hours, there will be a complicated way to hack available for about a 5 days, and then a program with one big click button.
This.
Sldappu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 06:34 AM   #11
Elite

I'm sticking with Windows 7 now. Microsoft is making horrible choices.
ItalicPixels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-12, 04:22 PM   #12
Newcomer
you bet your ass MS feels threatened. though who exactly they're threatened by is a matter open for discussion.

apple? (computer market / not smartphone/device market) well, let's be quite honest, right now they're not a threat. not on the corporate/enterprise level certainly and maybe only a little bit on the private user level. even there, the market share is still pretty much in MS's pocket.

the problem is MS leadership. it either doesn't exist or they're completely incompetent or firmly in the pocket of whoever wants to implement more restrictive tech. be it gov, entertainment, etc
according to an article by forbes (google it) Balmer is pretty much the most incompetent CEO of the past decade. i'd almost wish gates had stayed in charge if i weren't pretty sure he'd implement much more draconian restrictions.
anyway, without competent leadership MS makes bad business decisions that also end up influencing product development, culminating in pissed off users.
evilmonkeyxyz is offline   Reply With Quote