Old 04-16-12, 10:42 AM   #1
Newcomer

Default streaming vrs download.

I must admit that I do get easily confused about this stuff. My provider has started capping at 250gigs a month, which I thought was plenty, but then my son moved back with me for a while and he watches a lot of Netflix and Hulu where as I tend to download tv shows and very occaisional movie . We got a nice letter stating that we had used more than our allowance and if it happened again we would be charged per gig over. My son has now reduced his Netflix usage so hopefuly that will fix things. My question is...Do you use the same amount of data to download a movie (say 750mb) as you would to watch the same movie on Netflix or any other streaming ?

Hope this has made sense...
Old 04-16-12, 10:49 AM   #2
The Perseverant

It would depend on the quality of the release online. For example, if you download a rar'd ipod copy then it would be probably around 200-400 mbs for a 90 minute movie or downloads for a full 1080p copy can be north of 10gbs per release. Average is usually about 700MB for a standard 90 minute release. Where as, a Netflix streamed movie uses about 500MB-700MB for an SD movie, I don't know that for sure. I'm just using figures from:

http://www.apartmenttherapy.com/how-much-monthly-bandwidth-doe-136401
They list:

Quote:
Netflix Movies (HD): Iit's about 3600MB for a 2 hour HD movie.
Netflix Movies (SD): Each of these movies are around 500-700MB each, depending on the length of the movie.
Netflix TV Shows (HD): A 30-minute TV show will be about 1500MB.
Netflix TV Shows (SD): A 30-minute TV show will be about 400MB.
kolewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 10:57 AM   #3
Elite

500MB to 700MB? That's a bit too much for flash. I'd say 300-500 MAX for regular size movies. Streaming doesn't follow the same rules when it comes to encoding. How exactly did you go over 250Gbs? I can never reach 200Gigs and I download 720Ps for all my movies, which I delete after watching.

Your son, or someone else, is downloading way more than you think. Unless your son is on netflix 6 hours a day. (And that's still about 250MBs an hour, 2Gigs max for 6 hours of netflix) That still totals about 60Gigs a month. Something else is really draining your internet, or comcast forgot how to count.

Do you have a wireless router? A person near you might be leeching some internet. WEP passwords are easy to crack.
CyberKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 11:00 AM   #4
The Perseverant

Quote: Originally Posted by CyberKingdom View Post
500MB to 700MB? That's a bit too much for flash. I'd say 300-500 MAX for regular size movies. Streaming doesn't follow the same rules when it comes to encoding. How exactly did you go over 250Gbs? I can never reach 200Gigs and I download 720Ps for all my movies, which I delete after watching.

Your son, or someone else, is downloading way more than you think. Unless your son is on netflix 6 hours a day. (And that's still about 250MBs an hour, 2Gigs max for 6 hours of netflix) That still totals about 60Gigs a month. Something else is really draining your internet, or comcast forgot how to count.

Do you have a wireless router? A person near you might be leeching some internet. WEP passwords are easy to crack.
You'd know better than I would since I never use Netflix since it's selection is pretty sparse in Canada >_< Great reply
kolewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 11:17 AM   #5
Newcomer
Quote: Originally Posted by CyberKingdom View Post

But that's assuming that they're only watching SD and that the only source they're using is netflix.
AsuraE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 12:05 PM   #6
Avid Gamer

i downloaded 200 Gb just this weekend. hd movies is my thing.... good luck
wingomeza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-12, 12:18 PM   #7
Elite

Quote: Originally Posted by wingomeza View Post
i downloaded 200 Gb just this weekend. hd movies is my thing.... good luck
That's... great? I guess. I used to download like you, but then I ended up with 4TBs of HD rips and had no time to watch any of them. I have yet to watch 10% of it.
CyberKingdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 06:21 PM   #8
Newcomer
can i buy your hard drive lol?

off topic:
i moved from 220kb/sec unlimited bandwidth (euro package) to 1.5MB/sec to rogers=canada package 80 gigs (hope my ratios are right)

AND IT SUCKS!!

speed is a useless tradeoff when the cap is so low (obvious higher limits but the price i'm paying for is already more than double the price) and anybody; most everybody here realizes just how fast those gigs add up considering we're members at this site.
And I don't even d/l the monsterous 1080p movies. 720p 5-8 gigs plus a couple tv web-d/l and you'll notice your jdownloader shows 100's of gigs downloaded.

cliff notes: rogers canada blows..
thewatcher02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 06:35 PM   #9
Novice
ya, i think you are better off getting an unlimited bandwidth connection with a decent speed rather than a capped higher speed connection. but 250GBs per month, i don't even know how to fully utilize that unless u download 24/7.

i guess the bad thing about awareness of technology is more people use the internet, server couldn't keep up with the demand, so bandwidth has to be capped.
schah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 10:56 PM   #10
Newcomer
I hope this will never be like that in my country... Here in France we have unlimited bandwidth and speed (it's DSL connection though, so I get only 24Mbps) for 30€ ($40), it would be a huge regression to be capped
spiderben25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-12, 11:03 PM   #11
Bad command or file name

Quote: Originally Posted by spiderben25 View Post
I hope this will never be like that in my country... Here in France we have unlimited bandwidth and speed (it's DSL connection though, so I get only 24Mbps) for 30 ($40), it would be a huge regression to be capped
Yeah, I'm glad caps haven't come to me either. My rural DSL only gets 3.2Mbps, but according to my calculator, that would total nearly a terabyte If I maxed the connection for the whole month.
Noledox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 10:18 PM   #12
Newcomer
The thing to remember with downloading vs. streaming:

Streaming -- You have the file temporarily.

Downloading -- You have the file permanently.

This is another factor in bandwidth usage.

I'll give you an example from a friend of mine -- a chick. She lived in a house with a bunch of girls (college)... They all went to those sketchy streaming sites to watch Jersey Show (hey, I said she was I friend, I don't watch that crap). Now, continuing... They used TONS of bandwidth. Why? Because first my friend Robyn would watch it on her laptop, then her friend Suzie, then Lindsey, then Kelly, etc. All on their own computers, and all downloading again.

5 girls later, its quite a few GBs just for a shitty TV show.

Now if they had downloaded it then passed it along with a flash drive, thats just 350mb (encoded) to 1GB (encoded HD) max.

... Another thing, if you want to re-watch something, your not downloading it again unlike streaming.

Long story short, downloading is always better for bandwidth as its a one-shot-deal.
hoh69_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-12, 11:58 PM   #13
Newcomer

So in other words if you are going to stream it you may as well download it an burn to a disc for watching later as it cost you the same.
paul_doo is offline   Reply With Quote