> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-02-12, 03:34 AM   #1
\_(ツ)_/

Default Valve: Left 4 Dead 2 runs better on Linux than Windows

Quote:
Everybody knows that one factor in creating a good gaming experience is throughput. Ask me what one factor in creating a good gaming experience is and before you even finish the question I'll be on my feet, slapping whatever it is you're holding out of your hands and bellowing "throughput". So when the Valve Linux blog writes that "one factor in creating a good gaming experience is throughput", I'm all like "yes, obviously" before quickly scanning the rest of the article to find out what that means. Turns out that it means Valve have managed to get Left 4 Dead 2 running faster in Linux than it does in Windows. Only about 4% faster, sure, but that's impressive considering how early into Linux development Valve are.

Read the full article here:
http://www.pcgamesn.com/article/faster-zombies-valve-says-left-4-dead-2-runs-better-linux-windows
Old 08-02-12, 08:05 AM   #2
Autobot Supreme Commander

Not bad, if Valve play their cards right they could be the new Google and introduce a revolution for gaming on PCs
Omega_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 08:45 AM   #3
Luminiferous Ether Sailor

Quote: Originally Posted by Omega_Prime View Post
Not bad, if Valve play their cards right they could be the new Google and introduce a revolution for gaming on PCs
I thought they already had. Weren't they the first, or at least one of the first, to introduce downloading popular games?
PhoenixBSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 11:59 AM   #4
tehPARADOX

Quote: Originally Posted by JimmyKing View Post
everything runs faster and better on linux. it's time to forget windows and move to linux.
if valve move completely to linux that will make linux more popular and windows will start to fade.
Even If Valve went only linux they would still have a problem getting people to switch. Because of Nvidia is not giving no support. AMD has better support for linux users but nowhere near the support to windows users. Linux still has a long way to go.

Last edited by pkg81; 08-02-12 at 12:04 PM.
pkg81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-12, 05:11 PM   #5
Elite

If Valve makes this happen you can bet that Nvidia will change their tune.
Can't let a chance of making money off of new cards and users slip out of their greedy corporate hands.

Only reason that driver support isn't as good as Windows is because of gaming or the lack of it. But if games become mainstream on Linux the support from the GPU makers will increase to the level of Windows.

No surprise that the game runs faster on Linux.
Linux has less baggage to carry around, unlike Windows.
wtfjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 02:14 AM   #6
Master

So, you mean that the "infinite supply of pipe bombs" cheat dont crash the game in linux?
Id sure like to try that!
jbgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 04:21 AM   #7
Autobot Supreme Commander

Quote: Originally Posted by PhoenixBSD View Post
I thought they already had. Weren't they the first, or at least one of the first, to introduce downloading popular games?
Of course but that wasn't without its own problems and it still has a problem with not being able to sell games which under the new EU regulations, will have to change but I mean more in the way of how Google changed e-mail for everybody.

Remember the lousy 2MB (maybe 10, can't remember now) we had from hotmail until gmail came around? That's what I mean. Google has always been a game changer and their Google OS might change some stuff, though I think the idea of having to be connected to the net all the time a stupid decision.
Omega_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 10:08 AM   #8
Master
Runs better sounds promising and logical but 4% ? Not worth the talk yet.

Valve is really giving me hard time to decide how to feel about them, making cool games and now promoting the use of open source OSs and that is a good thing for everybody besides Microsoft.

But they created the drm cancer steam too...

Aww.
srs1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 11:36 AM   #9
Elder

Quote: Originally Posted by srs1 View Post
Runs better sounds promising and logical but 4% ? Not worth the talk yet.
Consider though, there have been years of development on windows but only a few months on Linux.
FirtY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 01:15 PM   #10
No kitty! bad kitty!!!

^^
Game is developed for PC but they didn't start from scratch on Linux, all textures, audio, cut-scenes etc is simply copy/paste, so they only have to change some of game engine, driver and system support files - while doing that they could fix some "errors" (make shortcuts and clean/slim code) from PC version.

What I am trying to say, if they now re-write PC game, be sure it would work atleast on same level as Linux version. They know that, just don't want talk about it because they support now Linux more then Windows.
Mbbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-12, 01:42 PM   #11
Elder

Quote: Originally Posted by Mbbest View Post
^^
Game is developed for PC but they didn't start from scratch on Linux, all textures, audio, cut-scenes etc is simply copy/paste, so they only have to change some of game engine, driver and system support files - while doing that they could fix some "errors" (make shortcuts and clean/slim code) from PC version.

What I am trying to say, if they now re-write PC game, be sure it would work atleast on same level as Linux version. They know that, just don't want talk about it because they support now Linux more then Windows.

Granted but it's still a major port... And an open subsystem still out-performs direct3d after a few months of tinkering. You're downplaying the reality mbbest imho.
Old 08-04-12, 12:49 AM   #12
Apprentice
A game I will never play on a system I will never use, not a big deal for me.
wormri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-12, 07:58 AM   #13
No kitty! bad kitty!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by FirtY View Post
Granted but it's still a major port... And an open subsystem still out-performs direct3d after a few months of tinkering. You're downplaying the reality mbbest imho.
DirectX is api..universal set of tools to make games fast and cheap, it cant replace custom code / modified api for specific game/hardware. On other side you have better game results, but what cost? Time? Different hardware problems? For devs time = $$$ so until someone make some easy auto-game tools for Linux (and so that can work good with "1trillion" different gpu hardware), I wouldn't hold much breath for Linux as gaming platform.

Did I said that I dont like Linux? :)))

Last time I have used Linux was when I needed gparted app, so I used Linux boot CD..after when I booted W7 I was so happy..god bless Microsoft for Windows lol
Mbbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-12, 09:40 AM   #14
Elder

Thanks to OpenCL's adoption/support by industry heavyweights like Intel, AMD, Nvidia, and ARM I can see gaming on Linux being a mind blowing success, eventually. There's still a mountain of work to be done, especially by the game-developers, but valve is no small supporter and have been an innovative company from the get go so the potential is huge...

But, I do like Linux, the ethos and philosophy behind the whole open source movement, not to mention the control it offers, it's attractive to me.
That said I'm no expert and I still run into problems that take hours if not days to figure out compared to the hassle free time I have on windows7. It just works and when it doesn't, repair is streamlined and uncomplicated.

But it's also expensive and closed, and a major component of it's security is because of the latter. All things considered objectively I'm left with the conclusion that open source is the future...