> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-11-10, 08:20 AM   #1
Newcomer
Default Video quality: 720p Hdtv vs. Web.DL

Hi,
I love watching tv shows in HD, and there are quite a few where I could get either the hdtv version or the Web.DL one fom iTunes. Do you guys think that the quality is about the same? I had the completely subjective impression that the hdtv ones were somehow a bit sharper, but maybe I'm just imagining that because, you know, could something you get off iTunes actually be great...
What do you guys think?
Old 02-11-10, 11:34 AM   #2
No kitty! bad kitty!!!

Default Re: Video quality: 720p Hdtv vs. Web.DL

Its all about compression :) ..but I don't know how much itunes compress their video, maybe someone else know
Mbbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 03:01 PM   #3
Elite

Depends also on the web downloads resolution and what size screen your viewing it on.

If the webDL is 480p and the HDTV is 720p.... well, you do the math.
elitists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-10, 07:45 PM   #4
Elite

And if the webDL is 1080p and your tv is 720p..
cazmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 12:50 AM   #5
No kitty! bad kitty!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by cazmajor View Post
And if the webDL is 1080p and your tv is 720p..
then what? :D
Mbbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-10, 05:21 PM   #6
Newcomer

Assuming that the ripper used a decent source (i.e OAR signal or blu-ray disc) then the download version should always be better.
cal_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 10:04 AM   #7
Novice

I'm not really sure I understand the question. Is this question about players or actual video content?

if this is about players this is what I suggest:
Because of so many complaints about incompatible of playback I am incorporating recommended player and codecs into my posts. The only player and codecs you will ever need to play any movie. These are free open source software and in my opinion the best out there as of date.
KM player
 http://kmplayer.en.softonic.com/
Shark007 codecs
http://shark007.net/index.html

if this question is about actual video content:
as stated before this really relies on the person ripping the material, if it is produced from Blu-Ray the actual quality will be better. But not all people that rip material actually KNOW how to encode videos well. I would look for previews or sample videos. Here is a picture of one of my encode. This is not one of the greatest previews but you should get the idea.
[IMG]http://i46.*************k04qq8.jpg[/IMG]
leaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-10, 04:57 PM   #8
Guru

JUST grab WEB-DL instead HDTV... No TV logos, no glitches and no cuts... That's all!!!

mimi83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-10, 09:44 AM   #9
Master

Quote: Originally Posted by Mbbest View Post
then what? :D
1080p on 720p telly? Easy, I take the spare 360p & watch it on the portable tv
madmac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-10, 09:12 PM   #10
Expert

Hi,

Just wanted to support avada's question as I am also trying to figure out which is better to download out of the two options, particularly for picture sharpness. Maybe this is the kind of question where there is no objective answer?
stasw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-10, 08:51 AM   #11
Elite

Putting aside the obvious requirement for the two to be of the same resolution and video/audio bitrate then it comes down to source and encoding quality which really leaves you at the point of 9 times out of 10 the corresponding Web DL should be better because of access to original non branded source and 'professional' for profit production, however screenshots and samples still would be sensible to check.

Others opinions
Quote:
For HDTV rips, they generally appear within the hour after the show airs (sometimes within minutes!), but HDTV encodes often lack the quality of Web-DL rips. With WebDL's, the quality is sometimes noticeably better. However, you'd have to wait 'til it gets released on iTunes - usually a full 24 hours AFTER it airs on TV. THEN, after that, someone would spread it like wildfire on the internet.

To summarize: If you want quality and don't mind waiting, get the Web-DL. If you wanna' watch your TV show ASAP, grab the HDTV rip, but don't complain when you notice artifacts, banding, and other crap relegated to HDTV rips
Quote:
It is completely dependent on the show. You need to make comparisons between an internal encode and a web-dl. Generally web-dl is better then encodes but it depends on the original stream bitrate. If the original stream was high or from c-band it will be better most of the time. Also basically anything NBC for web-dl is absolute crap.

But web-dl is greater than scene if that's all you can get...

Last edited by cazmajor; 07-26-10 at 08:55 AM.
cazmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-10, 06:03 AM   #12
Newcomer

I find that posterisation aka solarisation issues on my LG 42'' plasma are almost non-existent with Web DL stuff. So for me Web DL is way better. With HDTV, chances for posterisation are unfortunately greater.

Posterisation can have especially "nasty" glaring effect in scenes where human skin is illuminated or exposed to a stronger light.
jastuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-10, 05:48 PM   #13
Apprentice
HDTV: tv logo, commercials like in NBC (see banners), possible glitches in audio & video (if tv source switches off), possible audio problems or out of syncs, possible commercials cut bad, etc.
WEB-DL (no reencode - original 720p release from itunes): No tv logos, no commercials banners, no glitches, no out of sync, quality like a Bluray (even if it's 720p still it's like having a 720p many months be4 the Bluray), no commercials in the middle of the episode so no bad cuts, bluray quality months (if they'll ever produce it) be4 the bluray.
GiovanniAdamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-10, 04:28 AM   #14
BORN 2 WIN™

Quote: Originally Posted by mimi83 View Post
JUST grab WEB-DL instead HDTV... No TV logos, no glitches and no cuts... That's all!!!
Couldn't agree more. Same quality without any logos, commercial cuts, etc.
rolfixek is offline   Reply With Quote