Dubs 220 21.55%
Subtitles 724 70.91%
Don't care 77 7.54%
Voters: 1021. You may not vote on this poll

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-09, 05:41 AM   #155
Newcomer
Default Re: Dubs or subs

Dubs are cheesy and not realistic and sometimes dont fit character and spoils the feel of the anime.

I hate dubs, I like subtitles and watch animes only with subs it has improved my Japanese vocabulary to a good extent also LOL
Day7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-09, 08:54 AM   #156
Newcomer

Honestly speaking I prefer dubs, unless the only time I will watch subbed anime is when they did not make a dubbed version. I actually dont really find any problems with dubs but then again I havent been watching a lot of anime in the last couple of months.
vincent12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-09, 06:56 PM   #157
Novice

I think i've mentioned my stance in another thread (The one about the anime having the best dub ). It's got to be subs whenever humanly possible, unless the they're unattainable, or the original voices are actually English or someother language(!). One good example of this would be Afro Samurai.

Of course poorly coded, improperly fonted, or even grammatically incorrect subs (HK, speedsubs, etc) can reduce the immersion factor of an anime, and also distract the viewer from pivotal scenes, but i reckon if done properly actually does the opposite (Shinsen Subs and gg are examples of subbing and encoding done right)

Dubs on the other hand just sound really, really wierd to me...... and in my 10+ years of perusing anime there are only a few series that have got it right, instead of taking away the viewer from the story.... The vocal pacing often seems outta whack due to fact that they have to be in sync with the animated characters lips on screen that was intended for the Japanese vocalisations in the first place..

Of course.. its all IMHO....
solarmystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-09, 06:59 PM   #158
Newcomer

some dubs do sound good but i prefer subs..
ppiratekingg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 12:08 AM   #159
Newcomer

I'm a dubs guy all the way. Reading the subs is too engaging and I like to let my mind wonder while I watch TV. It's not easy to tune in and out when you have to read in order to keep up. When the language is familiar, it makes the dialog easier to keep track of in my subconscious; sound is easier stored in the short-term memory than words. I also feel like I can relate to the characters better when they're speaking in tones that I understand.

On top of all that, some things will always get lost in translation, whether it be through subs or dubs. Direct translations are simply not possible, so subs are not as pure as I perceive most to think they are. For example, Japanese puns don't translate well, and the Japanese love their puns... To fix this, dubs will often replace those jokes with something equally cheesball, but in a way that viewers can better understand. My philosophy on that is that as long as it's going to get screwed up anyway, might as well replace it with something that at least makes sense.

I'd love to learn Japanese though. I'll be taking it when I start college. When I do, I'm going to have twice the show to watch (I buy box sets, maximum quality and duel audio always! )

As for quality... Most dubs these days are very good, and a lot of work goes into making them. I respect that a lot. The whole process is fascinating to me... To the point in which I'd think about having a career in that field.

Last edited by Innagadadavida; 05-15-09 at 12:21 AM.
Innagadadavida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 10:52 AM   #160
Newcomer

Dude nowadays there is some thing called dual audios...
both audios dub and subs as well....
thread worthless if u mention dual audios i guess. :)
Adweya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-09, 11:35 AM   #161
Newcomer

On the whole, gonna have to go with Subs, though I honestly prefer some series dubbed.
Berserk for example, was an extremely good dub. Though other times, series like yugioh (lol) completely leave out a lot of bits and change the dialogue completely.
Ultimately, it comes down to who gets ahold of the English license.
Kalihye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 03:46 AM   #162
Novice

if the dub is of high quality then I prefer it more than reading subs
bilalarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 04:28 AM   #163
Newcomer

Personally I really enjoy subs over dubbed media. I have a few reasons for this, one being that its very interesting to see how different the translations can be depending on who has worked on it. For example I've seen a number of the same movies just subbed by different people, and after a while you remember certain parts of the dialouge from your original viewing and then its interesting to see how other people have interpereted what has been said in a different version.

Not to mention the other obvious benefit of learning to pick up someones elses language. Obviously it takes time, but picking up the odd word here and there is good fun. Depending on how frequently you watch them I suppose is reflective on how much you can learn.
Exodus_KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 09:27 AM   #164
Newcomer

I prefer subs than dubs in any movie not in English. So it should be in original languages with subs.
Razor81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-09, 08:46 PM   #165
Newcomer

both
I prefer dubs, but i don't mind subs
(though if im going to be reading i may as well read the manga, i always thought.)

though some who hate dubs can't tell if the japanese dub is good
and are blind to that fact
AoioA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-09, 08:59 PM   #166
Newcomer

Quote: Originally Posted by dammitguy View Post
lol never thought about it that way^^... and yeah, there are some ppl who says that dubs suck and that's why they prefer subs, although you need to read the posts in this thread to see that that's not true for most of us since we have tried both dubs and subs and we realize that more often than not, dubs are awful... but once again, it all depends on the person who's watching it
You say it's awful because you recognize the language, tone, colloquial phrases, ext. so you are right in making that assumption. It's harder to recognize terrible acting or improper tones when it's in another language. Seiy are actually encouraged to OVER act and stereotype.
Old 05-18-09, 10:51 PM   #167
Newcomer

Whether or not a character sounds squeaky is entirely subjective. Character voices are up for interpretation when it comes to dubbing. Some are good and some fail miserably. But again, that's all the opinion of the viewer. Obviously a young teen girl isn't going to have the voice of an old man, normally. But squeaky isn't an unusual trait for that type of character voice. Even in Japanese.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Mexican dub of Dragon Ball Z. Didn't they dub Cha-la too? If so that's very cool. FUNimation dubbed the GT opening and its fantastic, as they did Dragon Ball. Mystical Adventure remains one of my all time favorite dubbed openings.

Last edited by Innagadadavida; 05-18-09 at 10:53 PM.
Old 05-18-09, 11:18 PM   #168
Newcomer

It's not well very well known, to my knowledge. I'm just a hardcore Dragon Ball fan. I can tell you almost everything about the series except for power levels and timelines. I stay away from that sh**.