> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-20-08, 08:36 PM   #43
Apprentice
Default Re: How did you start watching Anime/Manga?

started with Rurouni Kenshin (one with 95 episodes) - stoped after the first episode cause didnt get it (thought - no way im watching kids stuff), but then saw another anime post on one forum, ( was recomended by admin) = Elfen Lied ( bloody, weird, by for some reason liked it and started watching it, finished it)
then back to "kenshin" series watched it till 78 or so and got side tracted by other anime
ergo proxy was the second one i finished, then i after that i would start bunch at the same time and end up not finishing some of them so now i need to finish couple, or i just watching way to much at the same time ... well it doesnt matter here; sorry went of topic a bit
ajar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 06:12 AM   #44
Newcomer

I came to my friend's home and find out an alive otaku there, switching from series to series why keeping his computer busy downloading others. The air sure caught me, and I didn't resist either. Nodame Cantabile is my first series.
terist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-08, 09:02 AM   #45
Newcomer

Well i strted wtvhin anime at like the age of like 10. I used to get up at like 6.00 in the morning to wtch like Dragonball and other Anime. Although back then i just thoght it was cool cartoons. And hav been wtching pretty much ever since :P
Storm90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 01:21 PM   #46
Newcomer

I started off watching Robotech and Voltron when I was a kid. Didn't get back into it until my 20's when I saw Akira and the Patlabor movies.
m0nk3yb0y is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-08, 05:04 PM   #47
Novice

well it all started when i saw dora the explorer...

nah, now that im thinking about all the anime i've seen, its more than i thought, wow the 90's. I think it started with Ronin Warriors, then sailor moon, then card captors, then Gundam wing, then Zoids (robo animals Lol), then digimon, then DBZ, then Yu Yu Hakusho, (Spirit Gun!) then Naruto, then Shippuden (stopped at like ep.39) and now im not rlly watching it anymore. Think i might start Naruto again..

I was in that Gundam Wing/Toonami thing too. Back then i didnt kno it was anime. And the only manga i hav is Gundam WIng Episode Zero. I thout it was a "graphic Novel" But its manga too. Wow, i really did watch alot of anime.

Last edited by Nuub; 06-29-08 at 05:12 PM.
Nuub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-08, 08:44 AM   #48
Newcomer

I started with FLCL and a bit of Cowboy Bebop a few years ago while my college roomies were watching them. Then they started watching Naruto and I got sucked into the storyline. Soon I picked up Bleach and finished Cowboy Bebop on their prompting. Once Naruto got into filler, I started reading the manga for the storyline. I'm still fairly new to both anime and manga, but have watched much in that time, some good some not so good.
Ganondorf4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 11:20 PM   #49
Newcomer

The first ones that I saw were arabic.. one about a giant tomato with super powers who would call on his army of tomatoes at will.. then there was captain tsubasa.. I didn't understand most of it, but watched it nonetheless..

Then quite a few years later I happened to catch Naruto when it first aired in Canada (2005 i think). It was the episode where team Kakashi meets up with Kakashi for the bell challenge. I was like HOLY MOTHER of all that is Sweet and AWSsome!!.. I was like i have got to remember its name.. but I got too into it and forgot its actual name..
Couple years later the name just popped in my head (guess I remembered it subconciously) and I looked it up and lo and behold there were 220 episodes and the shippuuden series was going on.. I was like YES!! then once I watched them all I went on to bleach and haven't stopped since..
magmachiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-08, 09:55 AM   #50
Newcomer

Sometime at the beginning of this century the national TV channel in my country simultaneously began to telecast 4 different cartoons, each on a different day of the week. Back then we had no cable TV and that was the only channel I could watch. I was always a fan of cartoons, so it was a big event for me.

The cartoons were Extreme Ghostbusters, Godzilla, Jumanji and... SAMURAI X.

The first episode of Samurai X (whose real name was, as I learnt much later, Rurouni Kenshin) took me by surprise. The clothing, the architecture, and the language of the end credits were definitely Japanese, and I had never watched a Japanese cartoon before. It was very different from anything I had watched before, and I sure liked it! As the series went on, I fell in love with it. The 4-episode story of the Oniwaban Gang and their leader Aoshi was UNFORGETTABLE - one of the best things I saw on TV, ever.

The channel's run of Samurai X ended after some 25 episodes or so. I desperately wanted more, but knew no way. But even then, I didn't realize that the world of Anime existed.

Many years later I found the starting music of Samurai X in a friend's Hard Drive. I asked him how he got it and then he introduced me to the world of Anime. Rurouni Kenshin was good, but he said that there existed even better anime. I however, was interested only in Rurouni Kenshin which he said he will get for me.

But that never happened. He went abroad for studies. In the mean time, I got myself an Internet connection and did some research. Plus I got Animax on my cable TV connection. Now I know the names of most popular anime, and even watched some of them. I recently got myself the entire Rurouni Kenshin series and have been savouring it little by little, loving every moment.

I also have very faint memories of watching a cartoon in my early childhood called Voltron. I didn't have any idea that it was an Anime until very recently.

(Thanks for beginning this thread, -eWf. I always wanted to share this story.)
sine_square_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 01:18 AM   #51
Newcomer

Hmm let me think......

Oh yeah! I was also one of those toonami born anime/manga people. Started sorta like Nuub: DBZ, Big O, Gundam Wing, pokemon, digimon, Original Gundam, Ronin Warriors, Cardcaptors, and Zoids as well. These were what brought me into it but I never knew what anime was (probably cause I was young and stupid, hmm). Then I saw Yu YU hakusho, Rurouni Kenshin, Tenchi Muyo, a Gundam wing movie and Outlaw Star. Thats when I understood what anime was.

Only started reading manga recently. From the top of my head (I switch around way too much ) Muishi, Spice and Wolf, Shaman King, Mirai Nikki, Double Arts, Stigmata, "Until Death Do Us Part" (a blind guy+a katana that can cut through anything+ techno eyes=), and thats all that i can remember.

Last edited by Horokeu; 07-16-08 at 01:22 AM.
Horokeu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-08, 06:22 AM   #52
Expert

Zoids, Pokemon and Digimon helped me get into it. But never thought of them as 'anime' back then.
-eWf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-08, 02:35 PM   #53
Newcomer

Hmm, just like any other kid I was watching the series aired in my homecountry like Mila, Captain Tzubasa, DB and Pokemon, but wasn't considering them as animes. Rather some cartoons from the kids channel. And when I became about 12 or 13 years old an amigo of mine introduced me to a newly aired series in the tv - NGE. Needless to say I was like w00t, never experiencing such quality stuff before. So I kept going, watching stuff like .hack//SIGN, X - 1999, Jin-Roh, Rahxephon, Cowboy Bebop etc. spending pretty much time dling from morpheus/Napster and DC which wasn't as flawless as directdownload or BT^^ - at least I never managed to make DC working properly.
But in the end I never ever watched an anime in tv again since I saw NGE for first time.

Last edited by ChickenJoE; 07-17-08 at 02:40 PM.
ChickenJoE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-08, 03:50 AM   #54
Newcomer

A friend of mine is a big fan and he recommended I check some stuff out. He's into all the comics and such too which don't interest me but the tv series and movies do, especially after seeing Ninja Scroll. To date that's the only anime i've watched right through but i'm looking to get into it now so i'll probably check out some of the movies he give me like ghost in the shell and work my way through this site's archive as well. :D
Akirai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-08, 06:58 PM   #55
Expert

Dragon Balls is the first anime for me. But got really into it after watching Akira.
hsyeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-08, 08:04 AM   #56
Newcomer

Well my friend bought a copy of the Devil Hunter Yohko VHS (yeah, I know xD), so he popped it in and I criticized it for awhile, then i got intrigued went and bought a couple myself, started watching Gundam Wing and the rest they say is history....
ttdestroy is offline   Reply With Quote