> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-01-08, 06:09 AM   #1
Novice

Default Japanese Animation and English Dubbed version.

I notice people judging good animes like OnePiece based on English Dubbed version, which is the crappiest job ever done and most people will agree that Original subbed Japanese episodes are far more interesting for any animation if you are a anime lover, wont you agree?
Old 12-01-08, 08:08 AM   #2
Newcomer

Default Re: Japanese Animation and English Dubbed version.

Dont agree at all ,think it depends on the quality of the english dub and the story too.I much prefer the dubbed versions of most anime i watch if its done well (Ghost in the Shell,Spirited Away,Samurai Champloo loads of others) and the story and characters arent intrinsically Japanese.Obviously i,m english so i may be biased but saying that, i prefer all asian real-life movies(Ichi,Oldboy,Battle Royale,Kung Fu Hustle,Infernal Affairs etc) to be subbed 1 Because they,re usually dubbed badly and 2 Its easier to immerse yourself in the movie when the characters are obviously asian,can you imagine say Takeshi Kitano sounding believable with a crappy American/English overdub?
anomander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 08:44 AM   #3
Novice

Well statistically speaking English dubbed anime vs Japanese Original, Original Japanese subbed version is far superior in bringing out true nature of characters, humor, voices matching expressions more appropriately, background soundtracks fit well with scenes etc. I've seen English dubbed animes, jokes in English genre sound so played out and repetitive and a big turn off. Moreover, lot of Japanese anime have adult humor, which makes it funnier in subbed rather then listening to censored/edited English dubbed version of it. So yea really what is it that you dont agree with again, when I said statically most animes regardless of storyline are badly dubbed, OnePiece is a perfect example of a perfect Japanese anime gone bad after English Dubbing.
m2chaudh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 09:55 AM   #4
Newcomer

Quote:
Well statistically speaking English dubbed anime vs Japanese Original, Original Japanese subbed version is far superior
Haha what statistics?? If you,re going to bring statistics up then at least provide some!!
Your argument about the nuances of humour or facial expressions just doesnt add up either.You pre-suppose that the subs will be of sufficient quality that they interpret the full spectrum of the movie but they dont(or at least most of the time they dont) they often give a literal meaning of the soundtrack or miss out what is considered superfluous dialogue.I,m talking about us non-japanese speakers here too we would find it difficult to understand the "joke" either way if its only a joke because of the "way he tells em" whether its vocal or written.Like i said i,m not against subbed i always watch some in original language(Akira,Tokyo Godfathers off the top of my head) but i do think anime lends itself to dubbing(if its done well) because of the "fantasy" settings and characters that would be hard pressed to give a nationality to.I dont watch many long-episode series popular on here like one-piece or naruto so i cant comment about how well or badly they translate
anomander is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-08, 08:04 PM   #5
Novice

Quote: Originally Posted by anomander View Post
Dont agree at all ,think it depends
Quote: Originally Posted by anomander View Post
i watch if its done well
My question was once you said "dont agree at all" then you support it by using words like "it depends" and "if" this or that applies, its really contradicting yourself. However I agree in "some" cases the fact that how well the English dubbed version has been reproduced really mattered and it can be compared at same level as Original. This thread was in no way to disrespect the decent effort put in making some of those above average English dubbed animes. It's essentially my own observation and being a regular at all the massive anime sites, who regularly update anime ongoing series and movies are Japanese is evident to say more people like Original version over dubbed English/German/Spanish etc.
Rurouni Kenshin, Trigun, Gungrave, Inuyasha..all are cheap remakes of there Japanese counterpart when they got out dubbed. Also, why I said statically speaking, more people are leaning towards watching subbed over dubbed now, I dont have to refute anything, just google any anime website, 90% everything hosted is Japanese, and when it even comes out as English dubbed, would people really watch it all over again just to see what it sounds like in English or any other language? very unlikely.

Last edited by m2chaudh; 12-01-08 at 08:14 PM.
m2chaudh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 05:05 AM   #6
Newcomer

it depends on the show I suppose, I find that anime films I appreciate better in japanese, not sure why, but most shows I am fine with just reading the subs or dubbing
redwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-09, 05:54 PM   #7
Expert

m2chaudh, if your not japanese YOU are contradicting yourself.

You say "Original" ? Yet your reffering to un-official SUBTITLES?

If you think subtitles are original, get this thread closed.
And if you think subtitles are anywhere near 100% correct translations in what/how things are meant to be said, get this thread closed.

Quote:
Original Japanese subbed version is far superior in bringing out true nature of characters, humor, voices matching expressions more appropriately, background soundtracks fit well with scenes etc.
That line.........
Every SUBBTITLE anime is normally by just a random sub group.
They get ALOT wrong, and i mean ALOT.

Ever watched a sub'd episode ,say by GG?
Then watched that same episode, by like DB?
Notice every sentence if translated different?

And with how they CUT shows down when they are dubed, ever realised they are CUT versions?
You have to watch UNCUT versions for it to be UNCUT.

As with how well dubs sound.
Ever watched a show dubed first? without hearing the japanese version?
You wouldnt say anythings wrong because you dont know what is originaly sounded like.

Only 1 thing i agree on in this thread.
Some peoples voices are not very nice to the ears haha.

Quote:
they all sound american!
They are dubed by an american company, along with basicly every other dub.
They wouldnt get japanese people to dub ENGLISH would they?

End of my rant
ps. one peice just isnt great anyway
Insanityx is offline   Reply With Quote