Old 03-12-09, 12:11 AM   #29
Master

Default Re: Red Ring of Death

^^ That is sweet setup you got there. I'll have to let my brother know about this. He's always on Call of Duty 3, so I'm sure his box is heating up like crazy. Thanks for the share.
yobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 08:17 AM   #30
Elite

That is pretty cool. (pun seriously not intended)
I didn't know they had cooling systems like that for the consoles
Buku42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 10:15 AM   #31
Apprentice

i saw that water cooling set up a while ago online and thought it was pretty cool. If it makes the Xbox 360 a lot quieter and cooler then it would definitely be worth it. Maybe Microsoft should come up with a watercooled version, now that would be cool as much as i doubt they would ever make it...
TobleroneUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-09, 10:34 AM   #32
Elite

It may be a profitable investment for someone to mod them and sell them that way.
Old 03-19-09, 12:40 PM   #33
Newcomer

Quote: Originally Posted by Darley 04 View Post
and also the fans i got were this:
First, I actually have that fan. I haven't used it though, because I was reading on the 'net about the Nyko Intercooler fan, which looks almost identical to that, and has a nasty tendancy for melting into the 360's power socket, and actually causing the RROD because it draws too much power from the 360's power supply. How long have you been using yours?

Anyways, on topic.

I got my Xbox 360 for FREE! I was told I could keep it if I could fix the RROD. So I replaced the X-Clamps, and it worked on the less graphically intense games for about two weeks, in standard-def. But I guess the damage was already done, as it lasts for all of two seconds in the MENU in HD before freezing. What's next?

Step 1: Use card stock and tape to change the shape of the fan shroud so it will actually direct air through the GPU sink as well as the CPU sink! Step 2? Heat gun! I get to cover the motherboard in thick plastic and tin foil, and blast the centre parts with 900 F of solder-remelting power! Now, this should fix my 360, in concert with the X-Clamp replacement, for about two months without further mods. But I want a few more months, maybe a year out of it.

So, what else will I be doing? Taking snips to the back of the 360, to remove the plastic and metal separating the rear fans from the open air. This will apparently give my fans about 15% more air to move. Next, I get to install RAM Heat Sinks. Then, using a dremel, I will cut a hole in the top of my Xbox. Taking my three-fan external deal (seen above) apart, I'll have three extra fans. Installing two of the fans into the intake on the side of the 360 opposite the side the hard drive is on, and the third into the hole on the top, will hopefully keep my motherboard cool. And finally, I get to either mod the 360's main fan to take 12V instead of the 5V it's on right now, or buying an aftermarket main fan which spins quieter and moves more air. After installing the three extra fans, I'm leaning toward option number two.

So, all this probably seems like a lot of work. And yet? All of this modding is more fun, to me, than actually PLAYING my 360. Of course, I guarentee you I wouldn't feel this way if I had actually paid money for it...
El_CJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-09, 06:48 PM   #34
Elite

I guess tampering with the inside of the system with 3rd party hardware can be risky
Old 03-23-09, 01:31 AM   #35
Novice

will fo me....i have XB360....its the 3rd one ...lol..u know why.....and i bought it cuz of some good games comin out jus fo XB..and am waitin him to give me the stupid red thin to smash it and throw it from the window...and buy PS3...that wt am think fo 3months...and i think that old box is good with me since that time....mb lol...but I MEAN IT!!
blackhamachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-09, 09:07 PM   #36
Newcomer

After 3 RROD in the first year I had a 360 I threw in the towel. Now I only play PC games.

Sometimes, I do miss it.
bearfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-09, 01:03 PM   #37
Elite

I was thinking about getting a 360, I heard the new models don't really get the red ring
Old 03-25-09, 06:10 PM   #38
Apprentice

Even if you do get the red light, it is more important that Microsoft actually fix the problem for you. So far I have had good experiences sending and receiving my Xbox 360's back and getting them replaced by MS.

The newer models should be more reliable because I'm sure MS don't want to waste more money repairing our consoles all the time. It makes business sense to make a console that is reliable.
TobleroneUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-09, 10:20 AM   #39
Elite

It does, but you never know with MS. Overconfidence seems to be their problem.