> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-29-10, 11:02 AM   #1
She Dragon Extraordinaire

Emoticon Smile DRM Tutorial and Tools Including Calibre Plugins *updated*

Latest Plugins for B&N epub files, Adobe digital epub & pdf files, kindle prc and topaz files, Mobipocket prc & mobi files, and ereader prc files

Unzip This file for the updated calibre plug-ins and py files for use with python for those who do not use Calibre

Quote:
Update May 2012

Includes new versions of:

-DeDRM_3.1.app
-DeDRM_WinApp_2.8
-K4MobiDeDRM_v03.8_plugin.zip
-eReaderPDB2PML_v06_plugin.zip
-eReader_PDB_Tools
-KindleBooks

*** Important Note for Calibre Users***
Many of the ebooks you purchase via the latest Kindle for PC and Kindle for Mac versions 1.9.X or later may use the new KF8 format. Although removal of the DRM will work just fine for these ebooks, Calibre does not yet understand KF8 ebooks and so will not correctly display them or correctly convert them. So until the developers of Calibre fix this issue, if you want to display and convert KF8 ebooks, we recommend using the Mobi_Unpack tool on the no-drm version of the KF8 ebook and using the .epub file it creates for viewing on other platforms and converting to other formats.

Please note that the latest version of calibre always works best with the newest tools.

Unzip this file

For the Mac OS X 10.5 PowerPC users unable to use update calibre versions.
Old API Plugins
To use updates you MUST remove the old plugins from calibre before adding the new ones.

To install the plugins see tutorial here Adding Plug-ins to calibre

With every ebook format the original purchaser has to remove the DRM.

After installing plugins just add the book normally to calibre the added book should be DRM free.

For epub & PDF (Adobe Digital) When first run, the plugin will attempt to find your Adobe Digital Editions installation (on Windows and Mac OS's). If successful, it will create an 'adeptkey.der' file and save it in Calibre's configuration directory. It will use that file on subsequent runs. If there are already '*.der' files in the directory, the plugin won't attempt to find the Adobe Digital Editions installation installation.
So if you have Adobe Digital Editions installation installed on the same machine as Calibre... you are ready to go.

For epub (B&N)
1) The easiest way to configure the plugin is to enter your name (Barnes & Noble account name) and credit card number (the one used to purchase the books) into the plugin's customization window. click the + next to file type plugins then select the plugin. Enter the name and credit card number separated by a comma: Your Name,1234123412341234 If you've purchased books with more than one credit card, separate that other info with a colon: Your Name,1234123412341234:Other Name,2345234523452345

For adding you PID FOR MOBI Books click the + next to file type plugins then select the plugin. Click customize plugin and add your PID # (link below on how to find your PID #)

If it is a book from Amazon you must have Amazon for PC or MAC installed and add the book from your archived items. then import the book from the folder in my documents named kindle content. It is meant to function without having to install any dependencies except for Calibre being on your same machine and in the same account as your "Kindle for PC" or "Kindle for Mac" application. I notice the Topaz based files will not have metadata and the book name in calibre will be gibberish just update the metadata to the book and author. there is no such problem with the mobi based files.

Ereader pdb files-Configuration: click the + next to file type plugins then select the plugin. Enter your name and last 8 digits of the credit card number separated by a comma: Your Name,12341234 If you've purchased books with more than one credit card, separate the info with a colon: Your Name,12341234:Other Name,23452345 (NOTE: Do NOT put quotes around your name like you do with the original script!!)

All the best BD
All thanks go to the authors of these tools.

NO QUESTIONS WILL BE ANSWERED HERE. THIS IS A RESOURCE THREAD NOT A HELP THREAD!! (SEE POST BY RAINBOWSPINNER.)

I will be more then happy to answer any questions sent to me in a PM. Or asked in my ebook101 thread.

Ebook 101

I would like to keep this thread alive so I can update the files as needed, but this will not happen if people keep breaking the rules.

Last edited by bookdragon; 05-18-12 at 10:03 AM.
Old 08-29-10, 12:36 PM   #2

Quote: Originally Posted by iTzCoRrUpT1oN View Post
If the DRM Removal plugin works, then you are a god! Will test on some ePub books I have on my touch and will get back to you. Thanks alot!
Will not work with epub!!! Just Mobi, AZW and PRC.

Sorry BD
bookdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-10, 05:49 PM   #3
Novice

For EPUB DRM removal, the old fashion way - google unswindle/ python scripts EPUB. Cabbages has a crack for this. I'm not posting a link for this site because I'm unsure of our forum rules.

The process is more complicated than adding 2 add-ons from Calibre. So buy Mobi books~!

Thanks Bookdragon for posting this. <3

Last edited by Reads2much; 08-29-10 at 05:52 PM. Reason: typos
Reads2much is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-10, 04:40 PM   #4
Newcomer
Fantastic! This worked well for me. Thank you.
kenasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-11, 04:57 AM   #5
Newcomer
The Calibre Plug-In is a wonderful idea, and I had no problem at all installing it.

However, when I add my encrypted PRC file, Calibre 0.7.37 reports "Couldn't
decode file xxxx.prc ...Importing encrypted version."

Python 2.7 with MOBIdeDRM.py version 0.18, and Ebook Utility both report
"Invalid Checksum" when attempting to remove the DRM.

I'm using the PID reported by MOBIreader for my computer which is the ONLY device used.

It appears that my PID is incorrect, and I have NO IDEA how to find the CORRECT PID.

Any thoughts would be MOST Welcome!

Tom
taneal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-11, 02:03 PM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by taneal1 View Post
The Calibre Plug-In is a wonderful idea, and I had no problem at all installing it.

However, when I add my encrypted PRC file, Calibre 0.7.37 reports "Couldn't
decode file xxxx.prc ...Importing encrypted version."

Python 2.7 with MOBIdeDRM.py version 0.18, and Ebook Utility both report
"Invalid Checksum" when attempting to remove the DRM.

I'm using the PID reported by MOBIreader for my computer which is the ONLY device used.

It appears that my PID is incorrect, and I have NO IDEA how to find the CORRECT PID.

Any thoughts would be MOST Welcome!

Tom
I sometimes get that error with a prc even when the DRM has been removed did you attempt to convert it after or just believed the error message?
Old 02-19-11, 09:09 AM   #7

Quote: Originally Posted by bookdragon View Post
Will not work with epub!!! Just Mobi, AZW and PRC.

Sorry BD
The new plugins do work with epub just not apple epub
Old 02-19-11, 06:53 PM   #8
Newcomer
Can't wait to try this out, I just need to get my hands on a DRM protected book to experiment with. Thanks OP!!
xfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 04:06 PM   #9
Newcomer
Hmmm... I cannot seem to get this to work on a .azw. I keep getting the message that the file is locked with DRM. Am I doing something wrong? Does anyone have a tutorial (step by step) for this process?
Old 02-21-11, 04:11 PM   #10
Expert
great up thanks!
nbaww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-11, 05:16 PM   #11
Newcomer
Nevermind, I got it to work. Thanks OP!!
Old 02-22-11, 02:13 PM   #12
Newcomer
Quote: Originally Posted by xfarmer View Post
Nevermind, I got it to work. Thanks OP!!
How did you get it working?
hollywoodb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-11, 02:57 PM   #13

Quote: Originally Posted by hollywoodb View Post
How did you get it working?
I am editing instructions into the first post. They are also in a text file with the plugins,
Old 02-23-11, 05:28 PM   #14
Newcomer
Installed the Calibre plugins and followed epub/B&N instructions, still getting "This book is locked with DRM". Not sure what I am doing wrong. Is there a more detailed instruction?
Any help appreciated.
Jim

Last edited by pencilmanca73; 02-23-11 at 05:40 PM.
pencilmanca73 is offline   Reply With Quote