> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-20-12, 10:40 AM   #1
Autobot Supreme Commander

Default Avengers movie discussion [may contain spoilers]

I watched Avengers yesterday as part of a special screening. I must say I wasn't that impressed. Introducing characters took far too long and not enough depth in the characters. There was a good few moments where hulk and thor were fighting off but they weren't really that great.

I think Asgard should have played a more important role in it. The cartoon "Avengers: earth's mightiest heroes" is 1000x better because it shows the role of the different realms. It all felt like the action was more important than the reason behind it. The actor who plays Loki was also terrible decision to have him being the main 'bad guy.'

To put it bluntly, it is a fan service movie and if judged on its own merit, it would not be well received.

Last edited by Omega_Prime; 04-20-12 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-20-12, 11:23 AM   #2
Just Keep Breathing

Thank you for your opinion. I'm guessing i will probably agree with you. I'm still going to see it of course but yeah, kinda familiar with the way movies are made these days. Shame, because depth is what i would prefer more than the crap I saw in the Transformer movies. If Batman can do it, so can others. The transformers comment is solely my own opinion and I am entitled to it. So if you disagree good for you. Thanks again Omega. Anything that you did like or wish could have been different?
klown07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 11:30 AM   #3

Quote: Originally Posted by klown07 View Post
Thank you for your opinion. I'm guessing i will probably agree with you. I'm still going to see it of course but yeah, kinda familiar with the way movies are made these days. Shame, because depth is what i would prefer more than the crap I saw in the Transformer movies. If Batman can do it, so can others. The transformers comment is solely my own opinion and I am entitled to it. So if you disagree good for you. Thanks again Omega. Anything that you did like or wish could have been different?
They spent about 40 minutes introducing the characters and 'plot' until anything good truly happened. I would have used the credit scenes to set up avengers, split it into 4 parts which would be at the end of each of the avenger movies rather than just subtle hints about some avengers initiative.

I did like the new actor who plays the hulk and the way the hulk looks. Captain America's new suit looked a little funny, like a padded 'muscle suit.' Some good funny moments in it but it feels like it shouldn't have been all in one film. Imagine if lord of the rings was one big film in 3 and a half hours - this is what it felt like.
Omega_Prime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-12, 01:28 PM   #4
Master

I think if you took out all the teary-eyed hobbit huggin' moments of LoTR...you would HAVE a 3 hour movie!!!

=D
Xmenfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-12, 05:50 AM   #5
Newcomer
i hated batman the dark knight - crappy overhyped movie. so if you reference batman in anyt comparison then i automatically ignore your opinion.

secondly, if its ALL action, i would not have it any other way. dont need character development and all that rubbish. you wanna know the backgrgound? go read some.

its super heroes, theres trouble, needs a lot of action. 40 minutes just spent on introducing and all that is too much time wasted.
grandmaster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-12, 06:15 AM   #6

Quote: Originally Posted by grandmaster1 View Post
i hated batman the dark knight - crappy overhyped movie. so if you reference batman in anyt comparison then i automatically ignore your opinion.

secondly, if its ALL action, i would not have it any other way. dont need character development and all that rubbish. you wanna know the backgrgound? go read some.

its super heroes, theres trouble, needs a lot of action. 40 minutes just spent on introducing and all that is too much time wasted.
FYI both Batmans were 100x better than this movie and you do need character development. You need to know the dynamics between all of the characters as they give the film more depth and ability for comedy.

Glad you agree with the 40 minutes introducing but it still felt like a rush job. Though then again I did watch it in 3D and nearly every 3D movie apart from Resident evil was rubbish in 3D.
Old 05-05-12, 02:22 AM   #7
Newcomer
I saw it yesterday with the family. I had more than once thought the guy playing Loki would make an excellent Joker.
Thorrulzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 06:57 AM   #8
Novice
SPOILER ALERT

I just saw it yesterday. It was a good movie because of the action, special effects, and comedy. I love part where the Hulk tossed Loki around like a rag doll. That would make most people laugh.

However, there was a part of the Hulk which I don't understand. Why would the Hulk want to chase the Black Widow and want to hurt her then later on in the movie the Hulk just joined the team so easily. If they had made it so that there is a misunderstanding why the Hulk would want to get in a fight with the members in the beginning, it would be more believable that the Hulk can be part of the team because Bruce Banner can somehow control the Hulk.
CoolHandLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 09:45 AM   #9
Novice
People keep saying how they needed a better intro to all the characters. You have to look at this like a sequel. All these characters where introduced in all the past movies and just brought back in this one. People never complain about the introduction of characters in sequels they just already know them. If you look at it like that it did have enough time explaining all the characters.
photofreakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 10:10 AM   #10
Newcomer
I respect your opinion, however, having seen it myself in 2D and being a huge Joss Whedon fan I have to completely disagree with you. UNLIKE any other superhero film recently, especially the Marvel ones, The Avengers is amazingly well written. Tom Hiddleston as Loki was the perfect choice, he is an amazing actor; no surprise considering Branagh brought him on to Thor as his one Shakespearean import. Watching this film was an amazing experience.

I say all of this having really hated large chunks of most Marvel films. Captain America was alright, certainly not great. Thor... about the same, even though I respect Branagh. Iron Man was probably the best, though in no way anywhere close to this film. Iron Man 2 was stupidly written, The Hulk films missed pretty wide as well.

Speaking of The Hulk, I agree with what I've heard many people say: Mark Ruffalo is the best Bruce Banner yet. He is laid back, smart, and yet you can really feel the pain and anger beneath the surface of his performance. Ruffalo does a great job of playing The Hulk *within* Banner.

And then FINALLY, Marvel gave a man who actually had a vast knowledge of comic book lore and a virtuosity for telling interesting stories about flawed, interesting characters. What Joss Whedon does here is say, "What makes these characters heroic, but more importantly, what makes them weak?" Having answered those questions himself, Whedon has made a film far and away better than anything Marvel has done so far; he packs in the character development, weaving scenes that develop, exposit or both, all while being hilarious and breathtakingly awesome from beat to beat.

Also guys, how cool was Hawkeye's quiver? And Cobie Smulders (Robin from How I Met Your Mother) is Nick Fury's second!

TLDR: If you even THINK you might like this film, I'm quite sure you most probably will. If you are a fan of Joss Whedon (Buffy, Firefly, Dollhouse, Toy Story, etc) then you know what to do.
sourink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 10:19 AM   #11

:O He did toy story - ok he gets quite a lot of brownie points for that. However, I saw it differently in my mind. Cartoon though, unless you haven't seen it is amazing.
Old 05-05-12, 12:30 PM   #12
Master
saw it on Friday. Best super heroes movie ever.

don't really care for the new or old Batman movies. as far as i am concerned, every Batman movie made in the last 30 years is a failure. i can't say that to the ones that were made prior because i've never seen those. the most amazing thing about Batman is not his Karate chops, Ninjutsu skills, cool gadgets, fancy cars and plains, but the power of his mind. Batman is a Genius who is also a super heroes. the only part of his abilities that could be considered as super is his mind. Batman movies in the last few decades showed that he is a smart hero but never Genius. there is a huge gap between smart and Genius. i love Justice League the animated. it showed quite a bit of his Genius that made him a true super hero.

Last edited by looj24498; 05-05-12 at 12:58 PM.
looj24498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 02:25 PM   #13
Novice
Just a little addition to my last post. I hope you all stayed through the credits that gives a lead to the next one. I also hope you all stayed past all the credits as well. There was a additional scene that wasn't a preview for the next movie but merely a comical additional that was great. If you missed it I suggest when you see it the second time you wait till the credits have completed. I won't tell you what happened but it was a nice little comical addition.
photofreakdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-12, 02:30 PM   #14
Novice
the tone of avengers (or any marvel movie) vs the dark knight series are at total opposite ends of the spectrum - personally i like them both- but to say that dark knight is 1000X better is blasphemous - the avengers was great. very deserving of its 93% on rotten tomatoes. RDJ killed it as ironman again and thankfully they limited gweneth paltrow to a very minor role.....it was funny, well written, and had plenty of action - the 3D wasn't great but I've yet to be impressed by 3D in any movie- this is a must see movie and just a pure definition of a summer blockbuster
glstat23 is offline   Reply With Quote