> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-20-09, 10:49 PM   #1
Novice
Default Cowboy Bebop: Live Action Movie

Okay, a few months back I heard a rumor that work has begun on a live-action movie adaption of the Cowboy Bebop anime/manga. I was a huge fan of the series and would love to hear some thoughts about a potential movie from anime and film fans generally

The only rumor I know about it so far is that Keanu Reeves was being considered for the role of Spike. And that worries me...
Old 07-20-09, 11:29 PM   #2
a noob gamer

Default Re: Cowboy Bebop: Live Action Movie

Keanu could do it. Let him become as skinny as hell (oh, he already is) and since he already knows Kung Fu, sure, he'd be good but he's extremely picky and could turn the role down just like he turned down the role for Dr. Manhattan for Watchmen.
acitone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 07:34 PM   #3
Novice

I can not see Keanu playing spike, if they make that casting choice they would then probably cast Angelina Jolie as Faye and Dakota Fanning as Ed. The movie would be a steaming pile. They should make it but keep it to a bunch of relatively unknown or lower budget actors.
Tomasu42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 04:41 AM   #4
Newcomer

the other detail about it is the director is the guy who did a scanner darkly
he may be able to do it despite not really being a fan of the anime or directing action movies
who would you prefer over keanu or linklater
i was thinking joss whedon could probably do the movie justice
voxware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 04:45 AM   #5
Novice

I think they should just let Bebop rest and not dust it off. They will ruin a series that the creators cut off at its peak.
Old 07-22-09, 05:58 AM   #6
Newcomer

I really cant see this standing up to the anime. I'd rather they came up with something original with the same budget than make a bad rehash of the same thing.

Also Joss Whedon could defiantly not do this justice, he basically makes Michael Bay films look good.
BarelyAudible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 06:22 AM   #7
Novice

but knowing Hollywood someone will show the execs an episode of the original anime and they will be rockin and raring to go and destroy this franchise...

If it does get green lit, then it is time for a
Old 07-22-09, 08:46 PM   #8
Novice

Quote: Originally Posted by Tomasu42 View Post
I can not see Keanu playing spike, if they make that casting choice they would then probably cast Angelina Jolie as Faye and Dakota Fanning as Ed. The movie would be a steaming pile. They should make it but keep it to a bunch of relatively unknown or lower budget actors.
Nooooooo!!!!
Keanu as Spike wouldn't be the end of the world, the character is pretty dead-pan most of the time (and he does know kung fu). I'd happily watch Jet played by Ron Perlman though. And maybe Milla Jovovich as Faye. Dunno about Ed (CGI mebbe?)

Last edited by scobles; 07-22-09 at 08:48 PM.
scobles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 08:51 PM   #9
Novice

Jovovich I could not see playing Faye she is not ummm how can I say this....ummmm Chesty enough. Ron Perlman is an awesome actor but would he look weird with his head shaved...???...lol...

Geez I really hope they don't sully my memory of this show with a feature film.

And Keanu just can't act. I wouldn't want to see Neo again dressed as Spike this time.
Old 07-22-09, 09:03 PM   #10
Newcomer

Yea the movie is definitely happening...but they dont know whos cast yet so we can only hope....if it goes really well they might make some more ovas of the original series or somthin ya know?
futagoza91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 11:01 AM   #11
Newcomer

Quote: Originally Posted by BarelyAudible View Post
I really cant see this standing up to the anime. I'd rather they came up with something original with the same budget than make a bad rehash of the same thing.

Also Joss Whedon could defiantly not do this justice, he basically makes Michael Bay films look good.
Serenity on RottenTomatoes: 81%
Transformers 2: 20%, Transformers: 57%, The Island: 40%, The Rock: 66%
Don't see the comparison.. one of them does pop corn flicks with minimal plot and the other is an actual writer
I'm not even a huge fan, I just like his sense of humor, ability to tackle Sci-Fi and Dr. Horrible..
just checkout the comments here, I'm not the only one thinking he'd be a good match
http://www.firstshowing.net/2008/12/...p-involvement/

Last edited by voxware; 07-23-09 at 11:22 AM.
voxware is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 11:38 AM   #12
Newcomer

I heard the Cowboy Bebop movie is based on the drug part of the show and will deal with stopping the spread of it. It's been a while since I watched the show but I think they could do it some justice as long as they don't change unnecessary stuff like in the awful Dragonball movie. Say what you want about Keanu but at least he stands a chance at Spike.
ssjmkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-09, 12:21 PM   #13
Elite

Spike knows Jeet Kun Do. And what form of Kung Fu does Keanu know? Tai Chi, Shaolin, The Five Animals, Wing Chun, Baguazhang, Xing Yi?
usiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-09, 07:32 PM   #14
Novice

I heard about the live action remake on the 4th of July from my friend, and the four of us that were watching fireworks were trying to figure out who could play the cast members.

We couldn't agree on anyone, with the exception of Michael Clarke Duncan as Spike. Like some of you on here, we thought the idea of "no-namers" would serve the movie better justice than trying to throw big name Hollywood stars in there.

Keanu as Spike did NOT sit well with any of us. Besides, isn't Spike Chinese? Why not go for a Chinese-American actor?
eisforepileptic is offline   Reply With Quote