Inspired by the recent History of Howard Stern, Act III, I decided to share this great pay-per-view special from 1993/1994. Some of the humor doesn't hold up that well, but most of it is hilarious. Enjoy!
Miss Howard Stern New Year's Eve Pageant (later released as Howard Stern's New Year's Rotten Eve 1994) was a two-hour pay-per-view special that aired on New Year's Eve 1993 and New Year's Day 1994, hosted by Howard Stern. Included in the special were parodies of Michael Jackson and Jerry Seinfeld, a song by Gary Dell'Abate (Stern's radio show Executive Producer) called "Doing the Baba Booey," and a mock beauty pageant resulting in the crowning of the show's first "Miss Howard Stern." Judges for the pageant included Janis Ian, Daniel Carver, John Bobbitt, Sherman Hemsley, Mark Hamill, Tiny Tim and Joe Frazier.
More than 40 women (and one man) participated in the pageant, most of whom were winners from preliminary contests held in cities where the radio show was being syndicated at the time. The field, which was narrowed down to 20, competed in the lingerie and talent rounds. Five finalists were announced and after an interview round, the runner-ups and winner were announced. During the pageant, there were many sentiments made among the contestants about favouritism given to certain girls, notably Debbie Tay, because they were hand-picked by Stern on his radio show, therefore given more attention and exposure.
The pageant itself featured many individuals who would go on to become notorious regulars on Stern's radio show. They include:
- Elaine Marks, winner of the pageant. She claimed she appeared in Playboy Magazine and left her husband shortly after her victory.
- Debbie the Space Alien, who finished at second place. She committed suicide in 1995 by overdosing on heroin. She was a lesbian and believed she was visited by aliens.
- Elaina Beastie placed third in the pageant. Elaina is a stripper/dominatrix for whom "pain is pleasure". She had her tongue pierced during the New York preliminary competition for the pageant and later returned to the show and changed a man's diaper.
- Heather Barrett, the "Erotic Poet", was a secretary who recited "erotic" poetry. She placed fourth.
- Miriam, "Miss Frigging Foreigner", placed 5th. Hailing from Czechoslovakia, Miriam did not hide her disappointment and disgust when she was named a runner-up instead of the winner. Unlike most of the other contestants, Miriam actually had a "real" talent; she was a gifted gymnast.
- Tabboo, "Miss Gender Confused" was the only male contestant of the pageant. Tabboo is notable for his hairy bottom during the lingerie competition and his song during the talent portion of the pageant: "It's NATURAL! It's NATURAL! T-A-double-B double-O oooh one-calorie TABBOO!" When he didn't make the top 5, he flipped the bird.
- Nicole Bass, the "World's Largest Female Body Builder". Her muscular build and deep voice prompted questions about her gender.
- Rowa, "Miss Fried Egg Tits", was notable for her thin build, scraggly auburn hair, pale pasty skin, and habitual drunkenness. Rowa played the guitar and sang "**** the President, **** him in the ass".
- Vanessa Warner, "Miss Chocolate Sundae", was a tall shapely brunette who spent the night before the pageant in the hospital after she passed out from her rigorous diet regime. Her talent was to pour ice cream all over herself.
- Candace St. Clare, "Miss Good Head", was a sultry blonde whose talent was to masturbate on stage.
- An anonymous woman, who withdrew from the contest, yet still achieved a high degree of notoriety. Her talent was spraying breast milk. She had previously competed in Howard's "Hooters for the Who" contest and withdrew from that also.