> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-02-08, 05:52 PM   #1
Newcomer
Default The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

I have tried everything I can think of. 2 different download managers (IDM and Free Download Manager), 2 different extractors (WinRAR and 7Zip) and I dont know what to do. The files download alright, I download all of the required rapidshare files, and try to extract them, it always gives me the above error.... please help!
Old 10-02-08, 05:56 PM   #2
Hear Me Roar...

Default Re: The archive is either in unknown format or damaged

what is the archive files extension ?
arupian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 06:03 PM   #3
Newcomer

The file extensions for, in this case all three files, is .rar
tehsexymang405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 06:22 PM   #4
Newcomer

haha, wellll. ive actually used that too....
Old 10-02-08, 06:35 PM   #5
Master

has anyone else had the problem with the archives you are talkiong about? it is possible they were currupt when they were uploaded.

Or download the rar before the error and the one after the error (if they are part rars)
lost411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 07:46 PM   #6
Hear Me Roar...

I would tend to agree, userf... I wouldn't mind the OP linking to the files so I could see for myself...
Old 10-02-08, 08:16 PM   #7
Newcomer

I know for a fact many other people have downloaded these files and unpacked them with no problem. I figure it is some problem with my machine... but i cant for the life of me think what it is.
http://tehparadox.com/forum/f73/office-all-seasons-update-weekly-60708/
Old 10-02-08, 08:22 PM   #8
Hear Me Roar...

well, are these the only files you've un-rared, or more accurately "attempted" to un-rar ? How exactly are you trying to extract ? right-click on the first file and select "extract here" ?

That's a LOT of files in that post, can you narrow it down to the 3 in question ?
Old 10-02-08, 08:31 PM   #9
Newcomer

thats just it.... ive tried a lot of files on that thread as well as other files from completely different threads. same thing, which is why i think its the machine. but i dont know what would prevent it from un-raring. ive searched all over the internet for some sort of inspiration but i can't find anything. usually the answer is "redownload the file, its probably corrupt" but because people have already downloaded it.... i dont know what to think
Old 10-02-08, 08:39 PM   #10
Apprentice

Why not try the regular Rapidshare download from the browser? After all it is 3 parts and shouldn't take you a long time. By all means if you finished downloading the 3 and still can't unpack it then it is the uploader's fault already. You know, some people here just download and reupload what they downloaded here without ever checking whether the links work or not. Quite possibly you have encountered such links from such people.

Last edited by LinBehKaLuGong; 10-02-08 at 09:46 PM.
LinBehKaLuGong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 08:54 PM   #11
Newcomer

it seems to work when i get it right from rapidshare, without a premium account though, it seems pretty inefficient.... ill update when i get all the files downloaded
Old 10-02-08, 09:12 PM   #12
Newcomer

yesssss. that most definitely works.... i dont know why i didnt think of that before....

i feel like i still should be able to download it like everyone else.... is that because i dont have a premium subscription?
Old 10-02-08, 09:45 PM   #13
Apprentice

Nah. Premium subscription only gives you more benefits like more downloads at a time, max of 10GB per day and their purported "max download speeds" from their servers and also supported download acceleration and integration with download managers (means you can configure your download manager with your Rapidshare premium account username and password and then start downloading from Rapidshare, err, premium-ly). You should get one if you haven't already because most of the stuff here at TP are in Rapidshare, and if you are sick of the slow speeds they give you as free user.

I never used any download managers to download from Rapidshare as a free user because I know their interface is different and they won't let you integrate your download into a download manager so I always make do as a free user downloading form a browser. Yes, somehow Rapidshare knows the download is from a download manager and they won't give you the full version of the file. I also encountered the smae before when I tried it. In view they say the file's full size and say is 99Mbs and needs 10 minutes to finish download but when using a download manager it will finish download way before the 10 minutes are up, say when it just hit 10+% completion of the download and automatically it will label it as a finished download. This explains your incomplete extractions.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by LinBehKaLuGong; 10-02-08 at 10:44 PM.
LinBehKaLuGong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-08, 10:06 PM   #14
Newcomer

it does. thanks a lot!