> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-12, 03:37 AM   #1
Boss.

Help A couple of PC problems I'd Like Help With

About 3-4 months ago i got all my new PC parts together and built myself a new High-end PC.
My intentions were after upgrading, and doing a clean sweep install I'd have no issues, but....unfortunate there's a few I need fixing.

Problem 1: After clicking shutdown and seeing the 'Windows is Shutting down' screen on my monitor, it then turns off, but my PC just hangs with fans still spinning and the case LED's on and it just never shuts down completely.

Problem 2: There is a high pitch whining noise in my PSU. I've done some reading and mostly found that it is most likely just a noisey capacitor, it gets noiser during high process tasks such as loading the sims 3 etc.

PC Specs:
MOBO: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro Gen3
CPU: i7 2600K @ 3.4Ghz
RAM: 8GB Corsair DDR3
GPU: nVidia GTX 570 1GB
SSD: 120GB OCZ
HDD: 1TB Cavier Black.

Thanks to anyone that might be able to help!
Old 08-21-12, 04:03 AM   #2
Elite

Which version of Windows are you referring to?

When you say it turns off do you mean the screen goes black?

Do you get a 'Windows did not shut down properly' message upon booting up?

What happens when you shut down from safe mode?

Try pressing 'Winkey+r', typing 'msconfig' and then after pressing enter booting into windows with 'Selective Startup' (just the radio button version for now) and then shutting down from there to see if that works fine.

Try looking for any events recorded in event viewer at the time of attempted shutdown.

I really would advise not working on your PSU unless you know what you are doing. If it bothers you that much RMA it if you can or replace it, would be my cursory advice.

Hope this helps!
cazmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-12, 04:14 AM   #3
No kitty! bad kitty!!!

Sounds like your PSU needs replacement, or in some rare cases motherboard.
I don't think you have software related problems but once I got even that as source of similar problems to yours.

If you can borrow spare PSU give it a try, if it shout down ok with new PSU then you know where you are.

BTW, whats your PSU spec?
Mbbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 12:30 AM   #4
Boss.

Yes, the screen just goes black, then I have to hold down the power button on my PC to shut it down.
No errors when I boot back up, nothing.

PSU Spec: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W

Darn, no spare PSU's lying around, might have to just try a new one and see how that goes.
Trev33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 12:37 AM   #5
Hopelessly Lost

I have always had problems with windows 7 and shutdown/hibernate due to glitches in the nvidia beta drivers for my video cards. I just use this nifty little app pretty much all the time.
http://www.vistashutdowntimer.toflo.de/
lazzyie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-12, 03:25 AM   #6
No kitty! bad kitty!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by Trev33 View Post

PSU Spec: Thermaltake Toughpower XT 875W
I doubt that specific PSU is broken..its good series, and since you dont have spare PSU, that leave us at software as next..

Boot Linux CD, (any linux, doesn't matter, ubuntu is ok (700MB), or find some small one like Gparted Live CD or whatever), see do you have same shutdown problems there, if not then PSU is ok and you need to focus on windows/drivers

Last edited by Mbbest; 08-22-12 at 03:28 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 05:21 AM   #7
Elite

Have you tried any of my suggestions? I would say they make sense...

1. What happens when you shut down from safe mode?

2. Try pressing 'Winkey+r', typing 'msconfig' and then after pressing enter booting into windows with 'Selective Startup' (just the radio button version for now) and then shutting down from there to see if that works fine.

3. Try looking for any events recorded in event viewer at the time of attempted shutdown.

Last edited by cazmajor; 08-22-12 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-22-12, 03:31 PM   #8
Expert
First thing I would do is check if there is not a firmware update to your bios. This problem does not sound windows related. I'd almost make sure you have the latest chipset drivers for your motherboard installed. Even though Windows might detect all your hardware often you still need them to correct little issues like this.

As for the other problem it could simply be a defective PSU and you might need to change it.

Also verify all the cables/connections.
palmer_eldrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-12, 12:35 AM   #9
Boss.

@cazmajor, sorry mate ill give your ideas a try now and report back.

Had a crack at safe mode, it froze at the 'Windows Shutting Down' screen.
I might try it again later. (Tried this twice now, same thing)

Also, I cant seem to find 'Selective Startup' in msconfig. Im a bit confused.

Another note, if I press my restart button, instead of instantly restarting, the PC will hang on a frozen screen for a bit and then shutdown and boot back up :S

(I have a feeling this could be a BIOS issue like stated.)

Last edited by Trev33; 08-23-12 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-23-12, 03:45 AM   #10
No kitty! bad kitty!!!

^^
Restart button sends bios/all hardware reboot code, bios could make problems there.

But also try to boot linux on cd/usb if you have time and see do you have same problem
Old 08-23-12, 05:25 AM   #11
Boss.

@Mbbest

I should get a chance to make up a linux CD tomorrow so ill give it a shot and get back to you.
Thanks for all the help so far everyone, im hoping to get to the bottom of this!
Old 08-23-12, 07:38 AM   #12
Elite

Possibly of interest

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/5628-63-windows-shut-power
Another thing mentioned was 'PC wake up settings' messed up in BIOS.

Hope you find a fix soon!
Old 08-23-12, 12:23 PM   #13
Master

I dunno what kind of bios you have but I would disable all power savin features, WOL, or any "soft" power switch as the keyboard space key if I were you.
You can also try this too: disable your NICs (or NIC if you only have one of them), all USB ports or even the sound chip. One by one.
It would be a good idea to use one of the old PS2 keyboards and kill all USB ports.
You can navigate through windows without the use of a mouse but if you cant, dont fret just press the Windows key to bring up the start menu and select reboot usin your arrow keys.
Thats how I would do this anyway.
jbgoode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-12, 12:52 AM   #14
Boss.

@Caz

I had a read through that thread, looked in my programs list and couldnt find anything related to RAID. I dont really want to uninstall all my programs :(

@jbgoode

Thanks for the advice, i'll give that a shot along with all the other things haha.

This sucks most because there is such a broad range of issues that could be causing the problem!