> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-11-11, 03:54 PM   #15
I have returned!

Xami: Nice thread.
I would suggest contacting Sting2324 and seeing if he can integrate this with his currently existing announcement. Otherwise we have 2 FAQ's :)

Just remember: Just because we have a thread with information dosent mean people will read it! We have a search engine that will andwer 90% of the questions we get in the helpdesk and no one bothers with that before posting either.
Take the IP banned question. how often do we get that? And thats stickied at the top of the helpdesk.
macbooklemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-11, 11:36 PM   #16
Elder

Cant something be put before someone tries to post at the helpdesk.. as in some pop-up telling them to read the rules of posting at the helpdesk.. telling them to search.. or risk getting a warning.. If not a pop-up then maybe something written in bold..
I think that would deter quite a number of people.. and also help them help themselves..

rockyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 04:08 AM   #17
No kitty! bad kitty!!!

Quote: Originally Posted by rockyrocks View Post
Cant something be put before someone tries to post at the helpdesk.. as in some pop-up telling them to read the rules of posting at the helpdesk.. telling them to search.. or risk getting a warning.. If not a pop-up then maybe something written in bold..
I think that would deter quite a number of people.. and also help them help themselves..

For first solution.. I will just guess that admin avoid that type of solution becuase it require some new coding/scripts (just guessing) and that wouldn't be good for server time/bandwidth or something, ..maybe I am wrong.
Mbbest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 04:40 AM   #18
Elite

I know there will always be users just going to post before doing a search or reading anything, but hopefully this can help some of the users just to confused to do it properly.

I am working on re-arranging the outlay to make it better and adding more stuff, stay tuned.
Ill check the content of stings post and see if we can do some sort of merge or interlinking.
Xami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 06:09 AM   #19
I have returned!

Quote: Originally Posted by rockyrocks View Post

Easy. Javascript. Client side so no server load increase.
But, that dosent mean people will read it. They will just hit 'ok' and completely ignore it, thus making it pointless.
Old 03-12-11, 08:29 AM   #20
Elder

True.. But I think the problem is since they don't read any of the stickies ever.. they dont know about the warnings..

Once they see (or are forced to see and that to just before they are about to post) that they might get banned.. it might be different.. Just like the browser gives us warnings when we use our credit cards.. dont we think a bit more..

rockyrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-11, 11:52 PM   #21
Bad command or file name

Quote: Originally Posted by macbooklemon View Post
Easy. Javascript. Client side so no server load increase.
But, that dosent mean people will read it. They will just hit 'ok' and completely ignore it, thus making it pointless.
If you use javascript, why not add a simple timer? If they can't click 'ok' for 30 seconds, a small portion of those people might actually read, not that I'm holding out any hope.
Noledox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 11:14 AM   #22
I have returned!

Quote: Originally Posted by Noledox View Post
If you use javascript, why not add a simple timer? If they can't click 'ok' for 30 seconds, a small portion of those people might actually read, not that I'm holding out any hope.
Because that's going to drive everyone insane and people would just not bother posting.
Old 03-13-11, 11:34 AM   #23
Elite

Because that's going to drive everyone insane and people would just not bother posting.
Indeed.
However it should be made for the first post in Helpdesk only, when people (hopefully) have read the golden "check faq and do a search"
Xami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-11, 11:53 PM   #24
Bad command or file name

Quote: Originally Posted by Xami View Post
Indeed.
However it should be made for the first post in Helpdesk only, when people (hopefully) have read the golden "check faq and do a search"
Seems like a fair middle ground. I admit that a timer would be a pain if you always had to wait before posting.
Old 03-14-11, 05:18 AM   #25
I have returned!

Guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think we are going to be seeing any javascript "read the stickies" based helpdesk popups any time soon.
Old 03-14-11, 07:11 PM   #26
Bad command or file name

Guys, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I don't think we are going to be seeing any javascript "read the stickies" based helpdesk popups any time soon.
Ah well, we can dream.
Old 03-14-11, 10:10 PM   #27
Elder

It's still a very good idea. Perhaps a popup that must be read once and can be turned off in the user cpl afterwards. Something that emphasizes the vast amount of users on TP and the strong possibility that their question has been asked and answered before.

Kudos on the great thread Xami
FirtY is online now   Reply With Quote