> >

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 10-24-08, 02:00 AM   #1
Expert
Default High Def Apect Ratios

Been noticing that many movies are not the correct aspect ratio. Most of the 720p movies found in the scene today. Say a movie such as Batman Begins has an original aspect ratio of 2.35:1 a 720p version should have a resolution of 1280 x 544 but you will see many examples that do not conform to this. Every group in the scene are releasing movies that are a few percent over or under stretched.

Just one of the thousand Examples:

Batman Begins (2005) [BLURAY DTS 5.1 X264 ION] (1280 x 528)
Batman Begins (2005) [HDDVD DTS 5.1 X264]-HD] (1280 x 536)

My question is why are not the majority of releases nuked? And why is it so hard for these groups to release the movie without over or under stretching the picture? Just curious cause going through the movies that i watch i would say that it is the exception rather than the norm for a group to get a rip the right resolution?
Old 10-24-08, 02:51 AM   #2
Expert

Default Re: High Def Apect Ratios

Just wondering how does it effect watching the movie if it is over or under stretched? I know nothing on how BluRay and HD work, except that the picture quality makes the original look like a crayon drawn animation. I am glad that they are able to do BluRay and/or HD releases, I myself wouldn't be able too do it since I know nothing of the steps involved.
Old 10-24-08, 03:08 AM   #3
Novice

Over or understrectching will warp objects slighty. So if you wanna look thin overstretch
will do the trick, for fat it's vice versa.
Old 10-24-08, 08:59 AM   #4
Global Moderator

As far as I know, what really matters to the release groups is limited file size (DVD-5 / DVD-9 etc), speed of encoding process and use of the highest AVB possible for the given resolution, file size and aspect ratio.
So, by using a higher cropping rate, which, after all, does NOT seriously affect the resulting encode, they're able to use a higher AVB (meaning better picture quality) and speed up SIGNIFICANTLY the whole encoding process, while retaining ALL other pre-determined encoding standards.
IMO, slight picture size over-cropping (ie 528 instead of 544) means practically nothing. However if someone needs to talk just for talking on this issue, then over-cropping means...a lot indeed.

Thread closed.

Cheers
Closed Thread