> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-12, 04:16 PM   #15
Newcomer
Quote: Originally Posted by Xanth1942 View Post
I'm assuming Windows 7?

Regular reformatting isn't going to reduce the life expectancy of your hard drive by any significant amount. While it is a good stop gap solution providing you have a clean and reliable backup; I think it's better to find out what's going on. Hardware? Software? Human error? Infection? etc.

I find Event Viewer very handy for diagnosing various problems.
You can use it to help track down boot time delays.

Here's a link to a page that provides a fairly good run down on how to go about it. It's worth a read.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/window-on-windows/use-windows-7-event-viewer-to-track-down-issues-that-cause-slower-boot-times/3253
Also Msconfig allows you to choose various startup and boot options.

For example, your can choose 'Diagnostic Startup' under the 'General' Tab which loads only what windows needs to boot

Here's a link to a good overview of Msconfig

http://www.askthecomputertech.com/msconfig-startup.html

Best of luck mate :)
Thanks for the info! I'm going to actually try a diagnostic startup now and see what happens... I'll re-post if I find out anything.
lvluffinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-12, 02:10 PM   #16
Newcomer
Quote: Originally Posted by lvluffinz View Post
Thanks for the info! I'm going to actually try a diagnostic startup now and see what happens... I'll re-post if I find out anything.
SO funny thing. I had set it to the Diagnostic Startup thing, but plans came up and I ended up going out all night and completely forgot about the diagnostic startup. So this morning I woke up and decided to restart my PC to start fresh and to my shock NO services or anything were working/launched, but it booted at an alright speed. I eventually remembered and slapped myself... anyhoo.

I've currently used Norton Ghost to backup my entire C drive. I was wondering however, doesn't Norton Ghost 15 have any option to create a partition to backup too? because I didn't see any option like that, and I was guessing a full system restore shouldn't wipe the partition should it?
Old 06-23-12, 10:58 PM   #17
Expert

LOL, well at least you know it's not a problem with your OS installation now :)

Not familiar with Norton Products, however a quick review of the website makes no mention of cloning a specific partition with Norton Ghost 15. However it does say:

Full system (disk image) computer backup lets you easily backup everything on a hard drive or partition.

A drive image is exactly that. A mirror copy of your entire hard drive. Partitions and all. If you made any new partitions since the last Norton Ghost drive backup; Then restoring will delete the new partitions.

EDIT

Sorry I've just re-read your last post and realised that you only just made and image using Norton Ghost. I shouldn't really post advice to people when I'm tired. Once again, Sorry about that :)

Okay. Making an Drive or Partition image now is going to copy everything, including the cause of your current slow down problem. So restoring it is not going to solve your slow down issues.

If you are set on doing a reformat and reinstall then at this point you are better off making a manual backup of all your important files and folders to an external source.

Now would be a good time to consider what partitions you want to have, if any. Such as 60 -70GB for the OS for example. 60-70GB is plenty for the windows 7 OS especially if you plan to install games and other programs in another partition.

Bear in mind though that videos, music and images etc can take up an enormous amount space, so you if make a small dedicated partition for your OS; you will not be able to put this files in Windows default locations.

Ok. Reformat and reinstall.

**IMPORTANT**
Your backup should include:
  • Any passwords and account information such as log ins for websites, your ISP, email clients etc.
  • Pictures, videos, music and documents etc.
  • Program settings and config files like customised codec settings, graphic program preferences, game profiles etc.
I would probably back up your Browser profile to so you can easily reinstall all your bookmarks and settings. Firefox has an Addon that can back up your profile. Not sure about IE or Chrome. Though it can be donw manually.

In any case, make a copy of important information in a text file and back up anything you have created or added yourself that would be a PINA if you lost it.

Also it helps to have everything you need to reinstall your OS, especially if you do not an alternative to access to the internet. You will not be able to go online until your laptop is up and running.

Software to have ready would include your OS obviously, but also antivirus program and any specific drivers to your laptop.
Windows 7 will most likely have the drivers for you laptop or at least be able to install generic ones which will work fine until you get around to installing the ones specific to your machine.
  • Best to make a list of everything that is important to you as this will help in making sure your have not forgotten anything.
  • Recheck the list carefully to make sure you covered everything. Once you are sure then manually copy any important information, files and folders to a separate drive or other safe backup
  • Once you manually backed up your important data; recheck the back up against your list to ensure it's all there.

At this point you can reformat and reinstall your OS.

Test the start up of your laptop by rebooting it a couple of times. If all is well after that then:
  • Install and update your antivirus.
  • Run Windows update if it hasn't already nagged you.
  • Update all your drivers, codecs, browser and related plugins.

Restart your laptop to ensure all is still booting fine.

If all is well, then now would be a good time to make a Drive Image back up and store it using a name that easily reminds you that this is a stable starting point for a later restore, such as 'Stable New install'.

Create your new separate drive image.

You should be able to set Norton ghost up to incrementally back up important personal files and folders to a separate back up file. Which will make any future reinstalls a little easier.
Always remember to double check everything though as mistakes are easy to make and back up failures do happen

If you want to clone partitions, Acronis True Image can do that.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have some other specific issues, or I've failed to explain myself properly. :)

Last edited by Xanth1942; 06-24-12 at 06:34 AM. Reason: Grammar needs to be restored
Xanth1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 06:54 AM   #18
Newcomer
Quote: Originally Posted by Xanth1942 View Post
LOL, well at least you know it's not a problem with your OS installation now :)

Not familiar with Norton Products, however a quick review of the website makes no mention of cloning a specific partition with Norton Ghost 15. However it does say:

Full system (disk image) computer backup lets you easily backup everything on a hard drive or partition.

A drive image is exactly that. A mirror copy of your entire hard drive. Partitions and all. If you made any new partitions since the last Norton Ghost drive backup; Then restoring will delete the new partitions.

EDIT

Sorry I've just re-read your last post and realised that you only just made and image using Norton Ghost. I shouldn't really post advice to people when I'm tired. Once again, Sorry about that :)

Okay. Making an Drive or Partition image now is going to copy everything, including the cause of your current slow down problem. So restoring it is not going to solve your slow down issues.

If you are set on doing a reformat and reinstall then at this point you are better off making a manual backup of all your important files and folders to an external source.

Now would be a good time to consider what partitions you want to have, if any. Such as 60 -70GB for the OS for example. 60-70GB is plenty for the windows 7 OS especially if you plan to install games and other programs in another partition.

Bear in mind though that videos, music and images etc can take up an enormous amount space, so you if make a small dedicated partition for your OS; you will not be able to put this files in Windows default locations.

Ok. Reformat and reinstall.

**IMPORTANT**
Your backup should include:
  • Any passwords and account information such as log ins for websites, your ISP, email clients etc.
  • Pictures, videos, music and documents etc.
  • Program settings and config files like customised codec settings, graphic program preferences, game profiles etc.
I would probably back up your Browser profile to so you can easily reinstall all your bookmarks and settings. Firefox has an Addon that can back up your profile. Not sure about IE or Chrome. Though it can be donw manually.

In any case, make a copy of important information in a text file and back up anything you have created or added yourself that would be a PINA if you lost it.

Also it helps to have everything you need to reinstall your OS, especially if you do not an alternative to access to the internet. You will not be able to go online until your laptop is up and running.

Software to have ready would include your OS obviously, but also antivirus program and any specific drivers to your laptop.
Windows 7 will most likely have the drivers for you laptop or at least be able to install generic ones which will work fine until you get around to installing the ones specific to your machine.
  • Best to make a list of everything that is important to you as this will help in making sure your have not forgotten anything.
  • Recheck the list carefully to make sure you covered everything. Once you are sure then manually copy any important information, files and folders to a separate drive or other safe backup
  • Once you manually backed up your important data; recheck the back up against your list to ensure it's all there.

At this point you can reformat and reinstall your OS.

Test the start up of your laptop by rebooting it a couple of times. If all is well after that then:
  • Install and update your antivirus.
  • Run Windows update if it hasn't already nagged you.
  • Update all your drivers, codecs, browser and related plugins.

Restart your laptop to ensure all is still booting fine.

If all is well, then now would be a good time to make a Drive Image back up and store it using a name that easily reminds you that this is a stable starting point for a later restore, such as 'Stable New install'.

Create your new separate drive image.

You should be able to set Norton ghost up to incrementally back up important personal files and folders to a separate back up file. Which will make any future reinstalls a little easier.
Always remember to double check everything though as mistakes are easy to make and back up failures do happen

If you want to clone partitions, Acronis True Image can do that.

Hope this helps. Feel free to PM me if you have some other specific issues, or I've failed to explain myself properly. :)

Whoa thanks for all the info man! You were a serious great help! :)
Old 06-24-12, 07:38 AM   #19
Expert

No worries mate! You more than welcome :)

PC's are awesome tools which makes it suck all the more when they don't work properly.

Have a good one :)

Edit

Your more than welcome :)

Last edited by Xanth1942; 06-24-12 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Can't speel propurlee
Old 06-24-12, 08:18 AM   #20
2nd Gen. of Phenom II CPU

Quote: Originally Posted by lvluffinz View Post
Well I tried the all the stuff above and it's still the same really. I'd like to think I'm quite knowledgeable about pc's and stuff, so I had already shut down useless processes and services as well as use blackviper's tweaks.

In the end I decided to go with a full reformat and going to create a backup image right now... Is it safe to reformat an HDD every, say, 4 months? Cause that would seem to be my only option lol
Your hard drive might be failing, so you run a SMART test or a health check with HD Tune. If you full reformat every 4 months, it would be a hassle when you can just replace the HDD if it's failing.
PhenomIIX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-12, 09:28 AM   #21
Expert

Quote: Originally Posted by PhenomIIX4 View Post
Your hard drive might be failing, so you run a SMART test or a health check with HD Tune. If you full reformat every 4 months, it would be a hassle when you can just replace the HDD if it's failing.
Good point, though according to lvluffinz; the diagnostic boot removed the symptom.
Would be a good idea to check the drives health status all the same.
Also, all the more reason to carry out a back up and create a new clean disk image. If there is a serious HD issue and this can be down before catastrophic failure; then it will go a long way to minimising the hassle.

Edit

done before catastrophic failure

Last edited by Xanth1942; 06-24-12 at 09:36 AM.
Old 06-25-12, 12:14 AM   #22
Master

There must be 100s of reasons for that kind of slowdown.
Personally I'd boot off inside the BIOS and start disablin each component one by one, just to make sure that this thing aint hardware related.
If it is software related then, your auto-startup program configuration may have a bunch of programs that load there code along with windows. MsConfig could be used to fix that.
Finally theres the "services" thing.
Anti-Virus programs, firewalls, sensor monitoring programs, and a few others, need to install there own services/driver-services in order to function properly.
If there are too many of them loadin durin startup then theres a pretty big bottleneck durin that time.
If you know what you are doing google Black Viper service configuration and do your thing.
If not, there are programs like the Ultimate Troubleshooter (AKA TUT) that can help you out on that.
http://www.answersthatwork.com/TUT_pages/TUT_screens.htm
Have phun
jbgoode is offline   Reply With Quote