> >

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 02-18-09, 03:27 PM   #1
Newcomer
Default MKV vs AVI? What's the advantages?

Could someone tell me the advantage(s) between MKV and AVI file? Most video files that I seem to want to download now are ripped into MKV format. I know that all Blu-Ray movies are being ripped to the MKV format and has better picture quality watching it on one's computer.

I have an HD tv and a blu ray player but I also have a Divx player that I use to watch all my videos (movies/anime/tv shows) on my tv. I realize the picture is not the greatest in the world but I'm okay with it.

Is there anyway to watch the mkv files on my tv without hooking up my computer to my tv? And even if I did hook up my computer to the rv, will the picture quality be comparable to blu ray picture?

I personally like the AVI format, as I've said above, because I can watch it on my divx player on my tv. But the AVI format seems to be getting scarce on the internet.

Thanks in advance for reply. Any opinion is appreciate.
Old 02-18-09, 04:15 PM   #2
Master

Default Re: MKV vs AVI? What's the advantages?

The container format MKV is superior to AVI in many ways:

* supports H.264/AVC
* B-Frame support
* supports variable audio bitrate
* supports chapters, muxed subtitles, metadata/tags and dvd-like menus

The greatest advantage of MKV over AVI is its support of H.264/AVC, which is needed for efficient HD content playback, Xvid/DivX are not suitable!!

Unfortunately I don't know if there are any MKV-players yet, but my guess is they will be the successor of the old avi/divx players!

[edit]
well there you go, elitists knows one ^^

Last edited by nem99; 02-18-09 at 04:18 PM.
Old 02-18-09, 04:16 PM   #3
Elite

I believe MKV does a better job with HD content.

As far as watching them on your TV without hooking up a computer my solution was to get a WDTV box from western digital. you can find more info on it here
http://tehparadox.com/forum/f28/west...player-190246/
Old 02-19-09, 05:47 AM   #4
Apprentice

MKV players here as well:

http://tehparadox.com/forum/f28/anyo...at-etc-140343/
Old 02-19-09, 09:27 PM   #5
Newcomer

yups jus like those guys said.
currently commercially there isn't awhole lot of options for mkv playback... natively that is. and being as most of the mkv files you find now a days are hd rips that definitly isn't compatible with any SD player.

one option is to use either a PS3 or Xbox 360 elite and stream the mkv content. you can also use mkv to vob to convert the mkv files to m2ts or vob files that the ps3 can recognize only problem is you'd have to split the files up all under 4gb being as the ps3 can only read fat32 hard drives.

hopefully in the future there will be an upgrade to the ps3 for mkv playback being as its only a software issue until that becomes reality (which i highly doubt) there are external media players out there in the market.

the most popular one currently out is the Popcorn hour, it's basically an external hard drive box with a graphics card that outputs full 1080p via hdmi.
the company is based somewhere in california but the product comes from china and it seems its rather in demand so theres a wait list.

another option is the western digital WD HD media Player, yes thats what its called. which is sold on amazon for about $100 or so. i personally bought one last month and i find it great for the price. although the popcorn hour box does more albeit for a higher price as well; $250 vs. $100
a couple of differences between the two~
i'd say overall the popcorn hour beats the wd box in terms of compatibility with codecs, etc. but the price difference to me lead me to try out the wd box also being as wd is reputable company vs a virtually unknown company in california. but the popcorn box has an internal hdd option along with the ethernet port on the back which in turn allows bt protocol apparently.

well thats the ones i'm familiar with, there are other companies out there making similiar boxes like iomega and others as well.
Old 02-20-09, 01:29 AM   #6
Global Moderator

Quote: Originally Posted by wyteone View Post
.........hopefully in the future there will be an upgrade to the ps3 for mkv playback being as its only a software issue until that becomes reality (which i highly doubt) there are external media players out there in the market...............
I know there's such a rumor but knowing Sony I strongly doubt.....
Old 02-25-09, 09:38 PM   #7
Newcomer

i appreciate all the feedbacks. i will have to do some research all the media player you guys have suggested. just a quick question before i start researching, i currently have all my anime/tv show burned on dvd disc right now for future view. does anyone of these media player have a dvd/cd playback feature?

again thanks for all the feedback, i really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for anymore feedbacks.
Old 02-25-09, 10:25 PM   #8
Apprentice

Quote: Originally Posted by gundampilot View Post
i appreciate all the feedbacks. i will have to do some research all the media player you guys have suggested. just a quick question before i start researching, i currently have all my anime/tv show burned on dvd disc right now for future view. does anyone of these media player have a dvd/cd playback feature?

again thanks for all the feedback, i really appreciate it. Thanks in advance for anymore feedbacks.
I think you will need to rip those dvd's (to .iso, .avi etc..) to play back on the media tanks like the WDTV/popcorn hour players. The nice thing about the popcorn hour, is it will play a dvd.iso or VIDEO_TS folder with full menus and extras, just as if the actual retail DVD was being played from an optical stand alone player.
Old 06-14-09, 09:27 PM   #9
Newcomer

There are quite a few free players that support .mkv's (Matroska Videos). Matroska Video has been out for a while now. I know I personally started watching them as early as 2004. My favorite is to view them with K-lite Codec Pack's Media Player Classic.

Blu-ray players are ridiculous! Buy a computer and hook it up to your HDTV. That way you don't have to worry about which player plays what. You'll see the difference between DivX/Xvid and 264x. I suggest you watch an action movie like 300 in each to really enjoy the difference. Don't waste a LCD/HDTV with Xvid! Avi's suck! The container format should be dead and extinct like the do-do bird and the show Friends.

Avi's only advantage is that it's more standard [I]because[I] commercial players refuse to support them. I mean, have you heard the things the MPAA are planning for HD-DVD and Blu-ray? It's about as invasive as a man in a suit with a suitcase wearing shaded glasses and rubber gloves standing in your living room while you watch your movie.

You have two choices: You can watch your expensive blu-ray, while doing your best to ignore the scary man and to keep yourself from wondering what the rubber gloves are for. Or you can keep the scary man out of your house by not buying the movie industry's BS. 720p/264x/MKV's ROCK!!!
Old 06-14-09, 10:39 PM   #10
Newcomer

I'm sure that Avi can support H.264 by using x264 as an encoder.
But I don't know which has better quality and hardware support, H.264 in AVI or H.264 in MKV? Or they are the same? Can someone tell me please?
Old 06-15-09, 12:01 AM   #11
Global Moderator

Information Re: MKV vs AVI? What's the advantages?

Quote: Originally Posted by longham View Post
I'm sure that Avi can support H.264 by using x264 as an encoder.
But I don't know which has better quality and hardware support, H.264 in AVI or H.264 in MKV? Or they are the same? Can someone tell me please?
Actually, the answer is MKV. I've answered that more than twice so far. Please try to search for more.

Thread closed.
Closed Thread