> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-13-12, 08:34 AM   #1
Expert
Default My games don't launch anymore

Most of my games don't work any longer. I think the problem started when I installed ModBuddy for Civ V, but I'm not 100% sure. When installing that, I had to tweak the registry, which might be what's causing the problem, but again, not sure.

This happens with the majority of my games, either DL'd from here, or bought from Amazon or someplace like that. Seems like both DX9 and DX11 games have the same issue. Things like MLB2K10 and Bejeweled 3 work fine, but Batman Arkham City and Dead Space 2 do not. I just installed Far Cry 3 and it's also not launching.

I get the loading screen for a few seconds, followed by: "a problem has caused this program to stop working. Click to shut down the program." On half of them, I get a report of fatal errors, things like: Address = blabla (filename not found) [in C:\Windows\system32\HID.DLL] and many more entries like that.

(I've checked my AV app to see if it's responsible for killing these apps, but it reports no activity as such.)

Has anyone else had this issue? Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by tehPandaRox; 12-13-12 at 08:38 AM.
Old 12-13-12, 10:09 AM   #2
Designer by Heart

im not sure but your system may have viruses, or be curropted, if its all 3D games then reinstall windows, if you can. but most likley someone elese may have a eaiser solution top this, so yh do the reinstall of windows as last resort
joka232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 11:00 AM   #3
=ε/̵͇̿̿/̿̿ ̿ `o.O

Just system restore to before the problem started

Also you could try re installing the non working games over the top of the old installed games to get a fresh reg entry and see if that helps

Last edited by robbo0000; 12-13-12 at 11:03 AM.
robbo0000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 01:55 PM   #4
Novice
Download CCleaner or similar and clean your registry then try updating your graphics card drivers and installing latest versions a DirectX before reinstalling anything, might help, might not, good luck
jcraigt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 02:47 PM   #5
Expert

Darn! System32, hey? Thats a no mans land most of times son!
Thats kinda like the engine compartment of your windows, knowhatmean?
However ......if you only get errors while tryin to load a game and everythang else loads fine, mah take would be that you mite need to re-install DirectX9, 10 and 11 (for win7 at least).
The whole enchilada, plus some new graphics drivers too.

That's the hard way.
The easy way? Just follow robbo0000's piece of advice.
Some cold beer could be of some help here too (thats my default advice )
jbgoode is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 03:33 PM   #6
Expert
Thanks for all of that, guys...

I did the CCleaner thing already, and have installed some brand new stuff that has the same issues. Have brand new nVidia drivers. Going to try to re-install DirectX, let's see how that goes...
tehPandaRox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 04:46 PM   #7
Expert
Not so easy to uninstall/reinstall... DXDiag does tell me that everything is working fine, and the installer tells me there's a newer version.

It won't let me system restore to an earlier point, either.

My AV tells me that there's nothing malicious going on... sigh. I am considering a re-install of windows, but man, that takes a long time in terms of settings and everything.
Old 12-13-12, 07:52 PM   #8
2nd Gen. of Phenom II CPU

Did your check your quarantine option because cracked exes can be stored there and you'll need to restore them to play your games.
PhenomIIX4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-12, 09:16 PM   #9
=ε/̵͇̿̿/̿̿ ̿ `o.O

Sometimes system restore fail's do too antivirus , turn it off before trying to restore
Old 12-17-12, 08:53 AM   #10
Expert
Nothing in quarantine...

I tried this one:
http://forums.xbox.com/gfw/technical_support/errors_crashes/f/268/t/318176.aspx
but still no luck.

My Steam games seem to be working. Crysis 2 and Diablo 3, Skyrim, Witcher 2 (Enhanced), CoD:MW2 work.
Borderlands 2, Batman AC, Dead Space 2, Battlefield 3, NFS: The Run, AvP do not.

I try and run most of them in DX11, but I've also tried DX9 if there's an exe for it.

Can anyone see any commonalities between the failing games?
Old 12-19-12, 02:36 AM   #11
Expert
Another update:

Installed cracked XCom - Enemy Unknown and get the same error.

So here's the full list:

WORKS: Steam games, Crysis 2, Diablo 3, Skyrim, Witcher 2 (Enhanced), CoD:MW2, MLB 2K10, Bejewled 3, Civ V.

NOT WORKING: Far Cry 3, Borderlands 2, Batman AC, Dead Space 2, Battlefield 3, NFS: The Run, AvP.
Old 12-19-12, 02:57 AM   #12
=ε/̵͇̿̿/̿̿ ̿ `o.O

Registry sounds really messed up , Might be time to format
Old 12-22-12, 08:12 AM   #13
Expert
well, some of my Steam games weren't working either. so I re-installed Windows. fun!

thanks for all the tips... I'm starting all over now!