> >

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-12, 10:19 AM   #1
The Brat

Default My gif animation isnīt working_why?

I just edited an avatar I found. Originally it is animated. Due to this siteīs requirements I had to reduce the size of the picture in Photoshop (on a Mac). Now hat darn thing stopped moving. I saved it using the: save for web (gif) mode.

What have I done wrong?

Thank you in advance
Old 02-12-12, 12:22 PM   #2
Newcomer
Unfortunately, photoshop can't open the layers of an animated .gif, it can only take video or frames and convert it into a .gif. On windows there are a lot of options to extract the frames of a .gif, the best being evanolds gif frame extractor. After extracting the frames you would go to File>Scripts>Load Files Into Stack, and then select the files and it will import them as layers, which you would then turn into frames using the animation panel. You could also use a video converter and convert it to either .mp4 or .mov, open it straight into photoshop and work from there. Ulead Gif Animator is a great program that can open .gifs and work on them without any frame extraction or conversion to video, but unfortunately it's windows only.

In the case of a mac, I'm not so sure how to work, I know that Any Video Converter and Miro Video Converter are available, but not sure how well they work. And if you convert a gif to video it's sure to add frames and the compression may result in some odd looking artifacts.

In any case, since your avatar was right there for me to see I just did a reverse image search, found the .gif, extracted the frames, opened the frames in Photoshop and then saved it at 200x148. I tested it on here and it works, enjoy!

http://i.imgur.com/DNFAF.gif
amindlessidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 12:31 PM   #3
Elite

Nicely done amindlessidiot!
elitists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 01:01 PM   #4
Is there a character limi

Quote: Originally Posted by elitists View Post
Nicely done amindlessidiot!
I love the irony in saying good job, and then the username "a mindless idiot".
Method512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 09:16 PM   #5
The Brat

Quote: Originally Posted by amindlessidiot View Post
Unfortunately, photoshop can't open the layers of an animated .gif, .............
In any case, since your avatar was right there for me to see I just did a reverse image search, found the .gif, extracted the frames, opened the frames in Photoshop and then saved it at 200x148. I tested it on here and it works, enjoy!
Thank you so much for your effort!!!!
...............BUT
I tried to upload your gif using:Option 1 - Enter the URL to the Image on Another Website

Instantly I received following message - again - sigh :
The Dimension limits for this filetype are 100 x 200. We were unable to resize your file so you will need to do so manually and upload it again. Your file is currently 200 x 148.

That is why I had to resize the original even so it was far less than 150kb.
The instructions concerning the filesize gets me confused.

What have I done wrong now?

By the way would Flash have been able to save the layer?

Thanks and Greetz
thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 09:17 PM   #6
Master

Oh its a mac user, i dont expect you to know that actual gif format consist of layers of picture and photoshop didnt open the whole pictures from those layers for editing.You need another software which I couldnt help with since i'm no mac person.

Last edited by blaxroze; 02-12-12 at 09:19 PM.
blaxroze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-12, 09:29 PM   #7
The Brat

I just downloded "amindlessidiot" gif and uploaded it again. The preview on my computer shown it moving but as soon I uploaded it here, it stopped moving again.?!??
Old 02-13-12, 08:14 AM   #8
Elite

Try this website to resize your gif. I used it for my avatar pic!

http://www.online-image-editor.com/
jay_dog992003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 12:49 PM   #9
Administrator

There are restrictions for images to be uploaded as an avatar.

http://tehparadox.com/forum/profile.php?do=editavatar

Scroll all the way down and read the notes.
tehPARADOX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 06:00 PM   #10
Newcomer
oh, my fault, I thought it said 200x200 for some reason, not 100x200

I hope this one works for you.

http://i.imgur.com/o7Vd4.gif
amindlessidiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-12, 10:46 PM   #11
The Brat

Quote: Originally Posted by amindlessidiot View Post
oh, my fault, I thought it said 200x200 for some reason, not 100x200

I hope this one works for you.

http://i.imgur.com/o7Vd4.gif
TP reports wrong URL.

I hope your link has the right code this time after I quoted it. If not tell me, donīt Wang me again.

Quote: Originally Posted by tehPARADOX View Post
There are restrictions for images to be uploaded as an avatar.
The restricitions are quite confusing. It says 100X200 "or" 150KB - whatever is smaller.
If a file is 200x200 but only 17KB?????
Old 02-14-12, 03:28 AM   #12
Elite

Quote: Originally Posted by thunderball View Post

The restricitions are quite confusing. It says 100X200 "or" 150KB - whatever is smaller.
If a file is 200x200 but only 17KB?????
It can not exceed 100x200 and it can not exceed 150k. as long as both the dimensions and size are at or below those numbers it will work.
elitists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-12, 09:32 PM   #13
The Brat

Quote: Originally Posted by elitists View Post
It can not exceed 100x200 and it can not exceed 150k. as long as both the dimensions and size are at or below those numbers it will work.
Ahh, thank you! I thought it could be either or. But to be on the safe side I resized it and cannot make it work ever since.
Old 02-15-12, 07:02 AM   #14
Watching, and waiting

This is resized to 100x72 or something like that. If you want the speed increased, send me a PM and I can tweek it for you. You should be able to just pull this image from here to you desktop, and upload it to your picture hoster. Dumb question, your picture hoster does support GIFs doesn't it? Some only do for premium members. Could be why your GIF doesn't work. Just a thought.

cdahl4 is offline   Reply With Quote