> > >

Post New Thread  Closed Thread

Old 01-23-09, 05:29 PM   #99
My Time Will Come

Default Re: Make MKV (and/or AVI) out of Blu-ray/HDDVD ISO image or ANY BD/HDDVD ripped to HD

My only doubt is how are people able to provide videos in 1920*1080p resolution in mkv format having a file size of only 8-15 GB when the original Blu-ray is 25 GB.Please consider me as a novice with respect to this question and kindly answer it
Old 01-24-09, 01:56 AM   #100
Global Moderator

Information Re: Make MKV (and/or AVI) out of Blu-ray/HDDVD ISO image or ANY BD/HDDVD ripped to HD

Quote: Originally Posted by techtronic View Post
My only doubt is how are people able to provide videos in 1920*1080p resolution in mkv format having a file size of only 8-15 GB when the original Blu-ray is 25 GB.Please consider me as a novice with respect to this question and kindly answer it
No worries. As explained before, this is possible by using a process called re-encoding. For example, in simple words, an encoder takes an original h264 BD (blu-ray disc) video stream which has a transfer rate (bitrate) of 35 Mbps [this is called AVB (average video bitrate)] and by using an encoding suite (such as x264 is), he/she re-encodes it @10Mbps AVB. This way, resulted stream's filesize gets significantly smaller, while loss in picture quality is bearable. Furthermore, other original BD structural elements are removed (menus, extras, subtitles, secondary SD video streams etc). Finally, since majority of blu-rays include multiple audio languages which could also be of huge filesize in case of Dolby TrueHD (dthd) or DTS Master Audio (DTS-MA), these languages are usually removed and English is the only one used. Even that single audio stream gets usually re-encoded in order to reduce its size (by few GB) and provide us with a fully compatible (for playback on regular PCs and previous generation AV receivers/decoders) AC3 or DTS stream.
Old 01-26-09, 10:39 AM   #101
Newcomer
Default Re: Make MKV (and/or AVI) out of Blu-ray/HDDVD ISO image or ANY BD/HDDVD ripped to HD

Gr8 tutorial

Been using it on several BD
But recently came along a problem and saw this was allready addressed but couldn't find an asnwer anywhere on the site.
I dloaded 3 *.ts files all around 15-17GB Bourne Trilogy from HDDVD.
My TVIX 6500 refuse to, play those *.TS files and demuxed and remuxed other movies like Jurrassic park to *.mkv using your tutorial. But with the Bourne Trilogy I demux the *.TS file and get an AC3 audio track and a VC1 video track. the audio track is recognised by mkvvergegui but the video file isn't , says file not surported!
What am i doing wrong? I'm asking for some help because those 3 movies are 50GB I dloaded and it would be a waste of time and bw!

thanks & gr33tz
Old 01-26-09, 12:47 PM   #102
Global Moderator

Information Re: Make MKV (and/or AVI) out of Blu-ray/HDDVD ISO image or ANY BD/HDDVD ripped to HD

Quote: Originally Posted by siamsquare View Post
Gr8 tutorial

Been using it on several BD
But recently came along a problem and saw this was allready addressed but couldn't find an asnwer anywhere on the site.
I dloaded 3 *.ts files all around 15-17GB Bourne Trilogy from HDDVD.
My TVIX 6500 refuse to, play those *.TS files and demuxed and remuxed other movies like Jurrassic park to *.mkv using your tutorial. But with the Bourne Trilogy I demux the *.TS file and get an AC3 audio track and a VC1 video track. the audio track is recognised by mkvvergegui but the video file isn't , says file not surported!
What am i doing wrong? I'm asking for some help because those 3 movies are 50GB I dloaded and it would be a waste of time and bw!

thanks & gr33tz
Thanks for your kind words.
Well, based on vc-1 stream's sequence headers, such a stream might be unreadable by mkvmerge. As a solution to this problem, I'm quoting a part of my other tut (page 1) also found stickied here and in the Helpdesk section.
Quote:
7. REMUXING INTO MKV WITHOUT RE-ENCODING
With this method you can just shift video containers without re-encoding anything. For example, if you have a TS file which contain Mpeg4 AVC video and AC3 audio streams, it's possible to convert it into mkv in just minutes, without the need of re-encoding none of the streams. MKV file size will be a bit smaller than the original ts. To do this, go to your "Halli Media Splitter" installation directory (most likely C:\Program Files\Haali\MatroskaSplitter) and run "gdsmux.exe". "DS Mux" window pops up. Right click anywhere inside it, select "add source" and browse to open the file of your preference. DS Mux will show the streams included in your original av container. Uncheck the streams you don't want, select output name (at the bottom of window) and hit on start button. Wait few minutes for the muxing progress to finish (you can monitor it in the status bar) and you're done. Alternatively, you can also use this application for an automated and complete demux-encode-mkv mux process of any stream included in your original av file. "DS Mux" takes advantage of certain DS, DMO or VFW filters found in your setup and use them to do the encoding job. Just select any stream and right click on it. Go to "encode" and select the desired encoder. Right click again on the stream, select properties. From there you can customize the properties of the selected encoder. Hit start and wait for the process to finish (it can take many many hours, depending on the settings of the encoder). What you finally are going to get is a "ready to use" mkv file.
Old 01-27-09, 02:44 AM   #103
Newcomer

thanks man i needed that
Old 01-27-09, 09:47 AM   #104
Global Moderator

Cancel Re: Make MKV (and/or AVI) out of Blu-ray/HDDVD ISO image or ANY BD/HDDVD ripped to HD

Quote: Originally Posted by nbknas View Post
thx, great stuff.. finally getting the hang of it.

one question though, not sure if it's the right thread to ask it.. But if i want to watch it on a ps3 or some bluray drive by using a DVD-R DL, is there a way it can be done? i know it's possible to convert to AVCHD which is compatible with sony blurays, but is there a software out there that can put all these files into a DVD-R that will be read by a bluray player or ps3... you know.. with the stream, certificate and all the other folders ?
No, it's not the right thread, you're right. Please search the Helpdesk for what you're trying to do, as well as the Games section. Your question has been answered several times before! No warning for you this time....
Old 01-27-09, 10:56 AM   #105
My Time Will Come

Thank you very much for your earnest and detailed reply.
Old 02-01-09, 08:41 PM   #106
Newcomer

Very useful Information

Thanks a lot :)
Old 02-03-09, 03:08 AM   #107
Elite

thanks a lot for the explainations of ISO & ISOBUSTER
Old 02-11-09, 06:19 PM   #108
Master

Thanks for the tuto which was very helpful for me.
I need some more details, may be you mentioned it in another thread or i missed it so if it's the case forgive me by advance :)
Well,
I used TsMuxerR to muxe a single m2ts file from a bluray directory by selecting the first m2ts file of the stream directory. This one (KingKong) had many m2ts files so, as you mentioned it, i added the other m2ts files from the movie by selecting append for each one until the credits.
My first problem is that this movie seems to have two version on the bluray, the normal and extended of the movie, so behind the m2ts files for the credits you have few more m2ts files for the extended (i supposed) but i don't know where to insert them.
So is there a way to have like an automate appending in the tsmuxerR to select the extended version ??? or another way to do that ??

I decided to go on (without the extended) and I succeded to muxe the m2ts file of the movie with only the audio streams and subtitles stream that i wanted.
Then i used DS Mux to convert the m2ts file to mkv, I just wanted to make an mkv without compression and it works like a charm. But i lost the subtitles ...
Is there a way to keep the subtitle inside the mkv by using DS Mux ???
Is there any soft to extract those subtitle from the m2ts file or from the bluray directory ???

Voilą.
I hope, when you'll get time you can give me some advice.
Thanks by advance for all you have done yet.
Old 02-12-09, 12:52 AM   #109
Global Moderator

Quote: Originally Posted by willhow View Post
Thanks for the tuto which was very helpful for me.
I need some more details, may be you mentioned it in another thread or i missed it so if it's the case forgive me by advance :)
Well,
I used TsMuxerR to muxe a single m2ts file from a bluray directory by selecting the first m2ts file of the stream directory. This one (KingKong) had many m2ts files so, as you mentioned it, i added the other m2ts files from the movie by selecting append for each one until the credits.
My first problem is that this movie seems to have two version on the bluray, the normal and extended of the movie, so behind the m2ts files for the credits you have few more m2ts files for the extended (i supposed) but i don't know where to insert them.
So is there a way to have like an automate appending in the tsmuxerR to select the extended version ??? or another way to do that ??

I decided to go on (without the extended) and I succeded to muxe the m2ts file of the movie with only the audio streams and subtitles stream that i wanted.
Then i used DS Mux to convert the m2ts file to mkv, I just wanted to make an mkv without compression and it works like a charm. But i lost the subtitles ...
Is there a way to keep the subtitle inside the mkv by using DS Mux ???
Is there any soft to extract those subtitle from the m2ts file or from the bluray directory ???

Voilą.
I hope, when you'll get time you can give me some advice.
Thanks by advance for all you have done yet.
Thanks for your kind words. Glad this tut was useful for you.
Now, what's happening in your case is called "seamless branching". There is an app that automatically finds all m2ts files that build up a main title (see screen below) and demuxes it if requested to. It's called eac3to. You can download it from here.
Please make sure you'll read the opening post carefully. If you're not familiar with CLI (command line interface) apps, I'd suggest you to use the "Eac3to and More GUI". A link to download it is provided in the eac3to thread, whose link I provided above. As for the subs in mkv, you cannot mux .pgs subs into that container. Since the process of converting pgs subs to srt via OCR is not that easy for non-savvy users, I'd say it's better for you to find external .srt subs and mux them in mkv.

Additionally, there's another app which could read BD's seamless branching and it's fairly easy to use. It's called Clown BD and it's based on eac3to and tsMuxeR. You can use it to load your BD movie (whole movie's folder) and create a new m2ts, ts or BD disc. For more info and download link:

Good luck.

Old 02-12-09, 11:51 AM   #110
Master

Thanks for your help tpAVm, really appreciate. :)

I tried both of your soft and i succeded to find all the m2ts files that build up each version of the movie.
I'm not very familiar with CLI so i tried ea3cto and more GUI (v 1.09 Beta 10 on XP SP2), added the bluray directory in the paths's tab and selected the input folder in Ea3cto Video's tab but the soft seems to crash. (He stay in the taskbar and i can't do anything at all)

So i tried Clone BD and i succeded to find all the m2ts files with this one.
But I need to read and pratice more cause those soft are not easy to use.

For the subtitles, i was thinking the same thing but as you seem to know much more than me, i asked you in case.

Anyway thanks for your reply, very helpful for me.
Old 02-12-09, 11:55 AM   #111
Global Moderator

Glad you made it, willhow.
Old 02-15-09, 12:12 PM   #112
Newcomer

Thanks for this info!
Closed Thread